1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone Ripper Limited Edition?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSchuster, Apr 19, 2006.

1. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Has anyone heard anything about these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=519379

I love the old Ripper/Grabber/G3 basses and I was wondering if anyone had played the reissue and knows what it sounds like . . . I wonder if the P/J pickup configuration will sound anywhere near the same as the dual HB configuration that the Ripper had . . .

2. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i'd be all over this bass if they stuck with the 2 buckers.

3. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005

yeah it looks really different, but the reviews on MF say it is almost perfect so I don't know

4. Always had an interest in these for some reason...WHOA! Gibson put a P & J confifuration on 'em. Crazy.

I wish the kept the pointy headstock too.

5. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    hey bro, the rippers had the les paul style head stock while the GRABBER had the pointy headstock. i do love the p/j combo, but thats what my current bass hass.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That looks great. It appears to have a Hipshot bridge on it, too.

If I got one of those, I'd rip out the P/J setup and install Dark Stars. It'd sound phenominal, and look better, too.

7. +1

I'd be all over that, if only for sentimental reasons, if I didn't have more instruments than I really do need. :rollno: That's always been a favorite shape - chuck the electronics - but the shape has interested me since they first came out. I used to work for a Gibson dealer and got to play all of the basses in this series. These were well made.

8. Totally! Or maybe some Barts.

9. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Wow! i hated those things back in the 70's, but they look kinda cool now! Avybody know the scale? I'd pop for one if it's short scale. No info on MF or Epiphone's web site. Price seemed nice too at $350!

On a side note, while on Epiphones site, they now have some real sweet mp3 clips of different bass models (don't know if it will sell any eb-o's though, ha!) But the casady and woody basses sound great! ( I own a woody and love it, and GAS for a casady--mf has refurbished casady for $499--hmmm) they also have a nice section w/ great photos of the woody bass (including the man himself!)

All-in all my recent experiences w/ epiphone have been very positve--good quality at reasonable prices= value, in my mind!

10. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    I'm really interested in this bass, but I have a question: Anyone know what the necks were like on the original Rippers? P-Bass? J-bass? Inbetween?

11. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    The Grabber that I played (I'm assuming Grabbers, Rippers, and G3s all had the same neck-style) had basically a P-bass-feeling neck, but it didn't fan out nearly as much as a real P-bass does. The Grabber neck didn't get too much wider as it went towards the body, which is something that I really like in bass necks. I think that's the main reason I don't play a Fender, besides maybe the bolt-on necks (which get in the way for me, personally).

I LOVE how they sound though. I hope this reissue can do that sound.

12. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I can't believe they changed out the pickup configuration. :meh:
    That's part of what made that instrument's voice unique.
    Big thumbs-down in my book.

13. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Keep in mind that's only one review and those MF reviews are normally too biased IMO.

I don't think that scale is a very good way for determining how good a bass this is.

14. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    anyone know the scale length of this or the original?

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    So how many Gibson originals is Epiphone not gonna re-issue with P-J pickups? :p They did it with the T-Bird, too.

16. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
  17. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I'm very anxious for some to someone to write a review somewhere. Wish i had some green..:(

18. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    My old Ripper was single coils but soap bars. It definitely hummed.

19. babs1234

babs1234

Apr 19, 2006
    PHOENIX, AZ
    even though im not a real big fan of gibson or epiphone i wanna get the chance to try one of these out just for the fun of it i guess, but they really should of brought back the pointed head it could look much better and give more of a classic feel to it or at least i think it would

nick

20. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Well, technically, the Grabber and the G3 had pointy headstocks, whereas the Ripper had the regular Gibson rectangle. They all looked cool in my opinion. I would REALLY be psyched if they reproduced the G3.