1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV: weight and information

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilmaio, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ilmaio

ilmaio

Sep 3, 2009
    Cremona - Italy
    Hi fellows,

i'm in the hunt for a new 4 string bass to replace my Ibanez ATK 305. The ATK is a wonderful bass, but is very heavy, and i'm having back issue, so i'm searching for a lighter replacement.

I found this Epiphone and i read a lot of positive review, but unfortunately i can't try it since my local store doesn't keep them.

So, a few question:
    -how much does it weight? generally speaking, is a light or an heavy bass?
    -the neck dive issue is true or is a myth?
    -are the pickups and electronic any good?

The other bass i'm in GAS for is the Kramer DS-1, how do you compare the two?

Thanks in advance

2. I know this isn't too helpful for your question, but I have one of the Gothic Thunderbird necks on a Fender Bronco body and there is not a bit of a neck dive issue with me an the bass itself is one of the lightest I own.

3. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    The pro 4 is fairly heavy, 8 lbs. The neckdive is bad if the strap stud is on the horn. Pups and electronics are very good, bridge and nut are good, the neck is amazing!

4. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    I have an Epiphone T Bird Pro, It is a Heavy Bass and Long, the neck dive issue does exist but I just loop my strap over one of the wings or horns and it stays right in place, It doesn't move at all, tremendous power and great tones from this bass..

5. ilmaio

ilmaio

Sep 3, 2009
    Cremona - Italy
    thanks for the reply!

Another question: the neck width is more similar to a P-bass (large) or to a Jazz-bass?

6. I have the pro 4 and I find no neck dive at all with a good strap. I have a fat Levi's strap. And it feels quite a bit lighter than my ric, couldn't give you numbers though. It does kind of, lean forward. If that makes sense. Kind of makes it uncomfortable.

7. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    the Pro IV's neck is similar to a Jazz neck, 1.5" at the nut.