1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Thunderbird Pro.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noseferatu, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Anybody have one of these?? What are your impressions of it?? From the looks and sounds of things, they kick butt. I haven't gotten to play one though. I watched a clip on Youtube and it seemed a lot crisper than the normal T-Birds.

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    they're nice instruments for the price. the build quality is pretty good and the finish on mine is very nice but has a few very minor flaws. mine had some issues with the pickups but gibson customer service took care of it under warranty. it doesn't really sound like a gibson bird as it's got different pickups and active electronics, but it sounds pretty good, ranging from a bright modern tone to thumpity-thump.

tbird1.

3. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    That looks really nice!! Glad you like it!

4. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    hiho,I,ve got one and it,s a different animal with the active pups,does the thunderbird things and more.
    Very nice in black

5. hrpufinstuf

hrpufinstuf

Feb 28, 2009
    Uxbridge, ON
    I bought one and had (have) real problems with the electronics. HUGE ground loop noise in one of the gigs I just played through their PA; its not as bad going straight through my rig but noticable especially on the neck pup. Epiphone (Yorkville, their distributor in Canada) claim these are built to spec and "I should adjust my EQ on the bass to minimize noise". I'm pretty unhappy about the whole thing; I'm now trolling talkbass to find a proper set of replacement pickups (EMG's or Bartolini's). I could return the bass for a full refund but I do like how it plays and its look.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go for something else more reliable... :rollno:

6. I've played the 4 and 5 string versions and they blew my mind .I personally like them better then the Gibson tb's that are out now .

7. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    they can do the thunderbird thing as well but they have a very rich full voice.
    neck pup goes from serious dub with full bass boost and treble cut to bridge with everything boosted to a cutting slappin beast,not as brittle as a musicman which can be insane with full treble boost.It,s more like a thunderbird crossed with a musicman
    I suppose that what it is due to the active circuit.It does have serious nads though,think thunder and cut.They do cut through the mix.
    Some people have had issues with pups mainly the 5,s and a few 4,s but mine is quite,no hums or hissing and very loud when played.
    I play the bass everything centered apart from volume and amp flat with a healthy dollop of gain,growls like a good un.
    The neck is very slim like a jazz bass but stays slim like a ricky as you go up the neck.