1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1039greenday, Apr 30, 2006.

1. 1039greenday

1039greenday

Aug 1, 2004
    I was in guitar center today, and I saw an Epiphone T-bird there, and I had to play it. I must say that it played and sounded great. I have been wanting a thunderbird for a while, and i am thinking of buying one, so I have a couple of questions.

1) Are there many major issues that come with epiphone t-birds? Any reason why I shouldnt buy one?

2) How do they compare to their Gibson counterpart? I know of course the gibson is better, but is there a large difference?

3) Is there any shame to playing an Epiphone? As in, would playing an epiphone on stage be something to be "embarresed" about ( since its not a gibson), like going on stage with a squier?

If i could, I would love to get a Gibson, I have just heard bad things about the quality, and the prices just seem to go up. I just cant see paying close to $2000 for a bass that will have problems ( I have heard alot of bad things about the fretworking )

Thanks,
    Richard

2. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    1. no. just get a good strap, as they're neck heavy.
    2. epi t-birds are bolt-on, gibsons are neck through.
    3. nope. plenty of ppl use em.

want a hint? look for an epiphone elitist thunderbird. they're a set neck, and are built close to the earlygibson spec t-bird. ivehatedevery tbird ive ever tried until i tried the epi elitist. just something about it. great bass.

3. 1039greenday

1039greenday

Aug 1, 2004
    xparis001, you wouldnt happen to know of a store that still sells the elitist series would you? I dont think I will be able to go the ebay route..

4. rallykid

rallykid

Apr 28, 2006
    Davison, MI
    I played an Epi T-bird and loved it. I think it is going to be my next purchase. I hate the colors the standard T-Bird is offered in so I am going for the Goth. I love the flat black look. I would say definitely pick up a comfy strap and some good locks as they are neck heavy. You may want to look into the mod for moving the front strap mount behind the neck like the Gibson is as this helps it balance better. Not sure about the feasibility of doing this with a bolt on neck as I havent looked into it but it is something I will be exploring when I pick mine up. Also, if you are into poppy sounding punk like early Greenday (1039 and Kerplunk are the only thing they released worth mentioning) then the T-bird is probably not going to have the sound you are looking for.