Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mulooga, Jul 8, 2004.

1. mulooga

mulooga

Jun 30, 2004
    :help:
    hi all, im sure some, but not all have some level of frustration setting up and EQ. I cant seem to achieve the tone i want from my amp. Im looking to get a nice punchy meaty low sound with good sustain and I have got close but not all the way there. Can anyone suggest a good setup for a 9 band graphic eq and possibly where to set my low and high eq controls (contors). thanx for any help :bassist:

looga

edit: i am using a peavey TNT 160 combo amp :meh:

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I personally leave the eq "out" on my preamp (SVP-PRO). Try cutting frequencies insted of boosting the others, I find I get a more coherent sound that way.

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've actually gotten my B2R to satisfy me, thanks to the EQ. I kinda scooped out the mids a little and I'm much happier. However, the overall tone isnt boomy enough, due to the fact that I cant use a 115 with it :meh:

4. I would like to start by saying EQ only goes so far. If constant fiddling doesn't get you there it's time to take a second look at your amp or cabs and say bye bye!

With that said give this a shot. FWIW results vary from rig to rig and room to room.

Start flat.
    Boost 200hz by 3db. Cut 400hz by 3db. Boost 800hz by 3db. Blend in the surrounding frequencies to smooth out the curve (this should help keep a natural tone.)

If you find you're boosting or cutting by more than 6db you more than likely want a new rig.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You have to use your ears because every amp 's EQ sounds different and the speaker, bass and even your playing technique all have a huge effect on the final tone.

Set everything midway and turn each EQ up one at a time to the max and min and LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN to what it sounds like.

Some bands will sound very obnoxious when boosted, these are candidates for cutting. Other bands sound lousy when cut, these are candidates for boosting.

Good luck!!

6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Very well put.
    The "nice punchy meaty low sound" your looking for comes mostly from your touch, so start there with development. Your rig should sound great flat...and that includes your bass tone controls as well(unless you have a passive ax). EQing should be an option for different colors, not a necessity.

7. mulooga

mulooga

Jun 30, 2004
    thanx for all the replies guys :) im gonna take this all in and see what result i get tonight :bassist: