1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ernie Ball Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fourstringsonly, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

Jan 24, 2013
    Are all of the models they make made in the USA?
    Also,,are these basses still as good as they were back in the 70`s?

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    all of the EBMM models are made in the US. the Sterling by MusicMan are made overseas. EBMM are often regarded as the most consistent production made basses around, so i would venture to guess they are made better than they were in the '70s.

3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I'd say they're all right.

4. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Sterling and OLP are not US made.

I'd say they are better than 1970ties, e.g. a better neck mount. Of course a great old piece of wood is hard to beat in the age department.

They are very high quality, especially for the price. Nag points include that you can only have figured maple with gloss finish on the neck on basses these days. The finish is poly, thin enough to probably not affect sound even for those who believe in it but still very hard to repair, and it cracks ugly when it does. And limited options wrt nut width and the like. Necks are reinforced with rods which you may or may not want.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i dont believe EBMM has EVER used graphite/carbon fiber reinforcement rods in their necks.

6. Much better now IMO. Higher quality build and a vast variety of models and configurations. Truly fine instruments.

Most of what you pay for in a 70's MM is vintage collectability. Good basses, but not $2K good.

As always YMMV.

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Generally 70s Musicmans are very well made.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Music Man Sterlings are USA Made.
    Sterling by Music Man are made overseas.

Whaat? Yeah that's right.

9. I just got a brand new one this Friday. I've got several post-2008 Fenders. Many people regard this as a golden age for fender and I agree. That being said, the EBMM has better finishing than any of my fenders. I am really impressed with the quality, especially the little details like not finishing the back of the neck for better playability and the perfect neck pocket and six bolt attachment. It's just a great freaking bass.

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    My favorite basses by far. The build quality is so consistent. They play and sound great and are dead simple to maintain and set up. The truss rod wheel alone is one of the greatest innovations in my opinion.

11. drea2304

drea2304

Feb 13, 2012
    Central IL
    Love my ebmm. I have a stingray and a sterling.

12. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

Feb 22, 2011
    There's no doubt that MusicMan is great quality for the money. My Sterling is an amazing bass. I can't wait to pick up the new Sabre bass.

13. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    My opinion is that the ebmm basses are friggin awesome. absolutely perfect necks and playability..every single one ive picked up over the last 7 or so yrs (since i first picked one up)
    beautiful consistent quality..which is prolly why they can charge so much.
    MY personal beef is ...1.they seem heavy to me..and 2. I (personally) prefer a narrower string spacing..if it werent for those 2 things..i wld ONLY play ebmm fivers.

but yes..they ARE awesome..they are consistent...MUCH more consistant than..that other company.
    ;)

14. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I absolutely love my EBMM. Feels and sounds better in my opinion than any other bass I've ever played. I also have a SBMM, which is made overseas, but if still put it up against many American made basses.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Although only one of my favs, I agree 100% with the rest of the above - especially about the consistant build quality and playability, and the truss rod wheel...

- georgestrings

16. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    I've never owned a 70's Musicman, but every other one i have owned. 12 different basses i think, have been worth their weight in gold. The Big Al SSS is my favorite.

Erin

17. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    :eyebrow:

18. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    My StingRay put an end to my G.A.S. for over a decade. I've played some older ones from all eras, but I honestly prefer them with the six-bolt neck and newer.

19. thelimey

thelimey

Oct 18, 2009
    I'd say the Stringray is good and Stringray Classic is fantastic, all the tone of the original and better features and worth the extra money

20. EBMM is a pretty amazing company when you think about it. they consistently mass-produce high quality, extremely well-made instruments for under $2k...IN AMERICA. they make all their own components in-house, and they do such a good job at it that hardly anyone replaces the stock bridges, pickups, or preamps on their EBMM basses. they are one of history's great bass makers, with an all-time classic model in the Stingray, and yet they continue to innovate and design radical new models; they never rest on their laurels. not only that, most agree that their new instruments are better than the originals (practically unheard of with other companies). oh, and they do all of this with guitars too, in addition to making some of the world's most popular strings.

off the top of my head i can't think of another company that can make all of those claims.