ernie ball strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thorsoundcore, Jan 22, 2009.

1. i hear nothing but good things about these strings,and i was thinking of giving them a try.im into a more trebly tone though,would ernie balls work good for that??

2. Rezlax31

Rezlax31

Feb 14, 2008
    yeah I find them to be pretty crunchy/grindy sounding so they should work fine for you.

3. ok,thanks.im definatly going to buy a pack once i get a chance

4. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    I really like them on certain basses but on some - they sound like nails on a chalkboard to me. I just had a set on my 70's Jazz and they sounded wonky as hell so I pulled them off and put some Labella flats on it - sweet relief!

You know what I found they sound great on? A Sterling fretless. No joke. And the deader, the better. I also think they sound nice on some short scales like the Mustang.

5. I like the tone they give especially with a pick you'll find that treble you want, but you will also find they go dead quite fast which was why I stopped using them twenty bucks monthly is a little ridiculous to me.

6. I've never really had much luck with these strings. I found them going dead very quickly and breaking.
    They sound and feel fine to start with but I have never been sold on their endurance.

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Word round the block out here is that EB's AREN't very good strings. Inexpensive (read cheap), too much treble and don't last too long are mostly cited in reference to them.

I'm hooked on DR HiBeams for that edgy stuff currently. Have heard good things about the DiArrios too. Matter of taste, yes?

-richard

8. i'll be putting a set of power slinkies on my t-bird in a couple weeks to replace factory strings...i'll let you know what my first impressions are.

9. I use Super Slinky's exclusively. I had been using Dean Markley Blue Steels, but I found that the EB's fit the tone I was looking for better.

I string my basses BEAD, and unlike most people who do that, I use a lighter gauge string to keep my punch. My tone that I strive for is Deep clear lows, and crisp and tight mids/highs. I don't like metallic or clanky brittle, though I am sure the EB's can give you that if you want.

10. McShmee

McShmee

Feb 12, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong thread, its my first day...

I've been using D'Addario EXL170 strings on my 4-string Fender precision for the last few years.
    Just bought a Warwick Corvette $$ 5-string, and was hoping to use D'Addario 5-string 170's, but the B-string doesn't taper down at the ball end and thus won't fit in the saddle. I'm not a fan of the Warwick stainless steel strings that came with the bass, so Im looking for some recommendations/opinions on nickel roundwound strings, which taper at the ball end, for a 5 string bass.

Also, I play 150+ gigs p.a. and need to change strings fairly regularly, so price is a factor.

Thanks.

Not that there's anything wrong with the warwick strings, my dainty fingers just aren't used to the steels...

11. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    I was using EB slinkys on my Ray, sound great but the "A" kept breaking at the bridge. It wasn't due to a burr or anything, so now I pretty much use DR's. Mostly Lowriders, Sunbeams, and "coated black beauties".

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021