1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ernie Ball Super Slinky Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by blues_bassist, Apr 20, 2009.

1. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Ernie Ball Super Slinky bass strings? What do you like or dislike about them and would you recommend them?

2. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    They're very good strings in my experience. I used EB Super Slinky's for like 5 years before i switched to Rotosound 77 flats.

The advantages of the Super Slinkys imo are: They're very light, so the tension is very, very comfortable for me personally. They're rather bright, so they have an attack that is good for things like metal and such. You can get almost like a pick sort of sound playing finger style with them, but they don't take to picks very well imo, they're a bit too bright with both imo.

The disadvantages imo are entirely a feel thing, and after 5 years playing them i wanted a change. I recommend them very highly.

3. I play the Hybrid slinkeys, and I love em.!! Nothing comes close (yet)

4. My experience is a 5/10. I had a heavy-gauge set on my Ibanez GSR200 that lost there shimmer after a month (and no, I don't sweat or play excessively) and a .135 set on my Affinity Jazz V right now. The "E" string is dead and really tubby sounding. Maybe I'm a little biased because I'm on my way to being a Flatwound Convert, but I reccommend you look elsewhere. D'Addario, perhaps. Just my $.02

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I swear what Webstrings.com sells are the same thing but much cheaper!

6. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    Slinkys are cheap and readily available if you need a set of strings in a hurry. They sound good but don't last long. D'Addario XL Nickels are better imo and almost as cheap and just as easy to find.