1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP/LTD EC 404

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ritterbass, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Alright Lads I picked this little number up about a month and a half ago and I got to say it's pretty sweet. I realize they have now made this model the EC 414 but truthfully it's the same instrument. I put this thread together mainly because when i was doing background searches and for pics/sound clips/owner feedback on it, there wasn't much here. I found one you tube video of some dude playing one but it wasn't that great.

Anyways moving on, so far in band practice it sounds amazing and cuts through. Those EMG 35 DC's really do the trick for those who dig that sound. I have yet to take it out to a show but I'm sure it'd do plenty fine there.

Overall I think ESP/LTD finally bridged the gap between putting the LP shape on bass for a mass produced thing. Now I realize typical guitar body shapes appeal to a certain amount of bass players and won't be for everyone but I gotta say if you were previously turned off by an LP styled bass from previous bad experiences, just take this one with a grain of salt cause I think it smokes the alternatives both in looks and overall features.

What sold it for me aside from being quite addictive to play was the overall look of it, trans black, cream binding and inlays, those EMG 35DC's and little to no modifications that I'd have to do, to make it look/sound the way I want. I was tempted initially to kick those pups up to 18 volts(which I may still do) but everything stock right here is in the pocket.

I'm a finger player pretty much 100% and this bass definitely does well with that and has great slap tone as expected from EMG 35's. However it also made me want to try it with a pick and I gotta say for someone who doesn't usually play with a pick, it made me want to. It sounds and plays great that way and gets these nice sustaining notes, especially when chord ed. For me thats a mark of an interesting/good bass when you need it for something that other basses may be able to achieve but just can't get, so it was definitely a plus in that way.

For those concerned about neck dive, if you wear this bass like you would a typical Les Paul, personally I find it pretty much non existent. There is enough substance to the body that it just sits well. Again everyone's preferences are different so try it out.

For $750-820(Canadian) it's a pretty good deal considering all you get versus say something else where you'd have to mod down the road. Not to mention it just looks more the part for playing hard rock/metal with. Even a Gibson LP bass just doesn't have the 'look" for Rock/Metal IMO.

I got it as more of a for show looks thing rather than as my main bass although you never know...So if you are going into it just go into it with that mentality. It is Korean made and as such it will have whatever flaws are prone to basses made there of which I'm sure many people have had the mis-fortune of finding out the hard way. However, after careful scrutiny of everything from fit to finish, battery caveties, pots, input jacks etc it seems like I got a good one with no issues thus far. So again you should be alright.

ESP/LTD offer several lower end versions of this bass, of which I have tried a few but guys at that level your pretty much buying junk more than an actual bass. With this you get your LP shape that actually plays and sounds well without spending THAT much money and for that I'd say we got a winner. So if you are looking for that LP shaped bass that is actually worth your time, short of having one custom luthier, this could be it for you.

Anyways I'll post some sound clips of it up later, hell maybe some live shots once our band is back into show time mode.

But for now check out the pics and enjoy.:D

P3200823.

P3200822.

P3200824.

P3200819.

P3200829.

P3200830.

2. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I picked up an ESP EC254FM in Black Cherry used for $300 CDN (with schaller strap locks and hard case) about 3 months ago and I agree with your opinion. ESP makes a great product and this thing stands up to any Les Paul bass out there (in my humble opinion anyway).
    Seems ESP brand seems to be more popular in the Great White North than in the USA.

esp.

3. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Cool man. The one you got looks pretty sharp as well. The 404 is pretty well the same as that with just that next step up in finish and EMG pups. The versions lower than mine and yours I wouldn't really be bothered with. Yours is at least in the position to be able to slap EMG's in there(if not in there already) if you wanted to. ESP is definitely a good bang for the buck overall and perhaps they are a bit more popular up here but then up here we don't have nearly the amount of access to a lot of boutique things. Anyways either way cool beans! So people try it out and see what you think. :)

4. silvergc

silvergc

Apr 3, 2009
    ritterbass.

I am one of those who really prefer the LP style over a more traditional bass body. Some how the guitar shape fits me better, and is more comfortable. I fell in love with this one at first sight, and find it to be a joy to play.

I noticed the hard case. Where did you get it? The reason I am asking is because the other versions of this bass are a bit thinner, and can fit in a slimmer case. I have been hesitant to purchase a hard case for mine in fear that the case will not fit properly. I have been using a gig bag, but would like to get the hard case for more protection.

5. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Well that is cool that you dig this shape... I mean for me the only other "guitar-like" shape I had was a an Epi flying V, other than that I have leaned completely towards the typical "bass" body shape. This one was quiet well executed for what it was intended for.

As for the case I got it through Steve's music(where I bought the bass). It took a few weeks from when I gave the go ahead to order it and when it arrived. I will say I kind of wish the case took the shape of the bass, like LP guitar cases do, but meh I can live with it. I'm just glad it's in there now and not in one of my gig bags. The case was like an extra $150.00 or something.

6. Brian Crawford

Brian Crawford

Aug 9, 2009
    Nap_town