1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP RF-00

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikasaka, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mikasaka

mikasaka

Feb 20, 2008
    Hey all,

Does anyone happen to know how well these bass' are? I would love to have one myself! Where could I purchase this bass in the UK? I believe it is Japanese.

RF-00.

Also, does anyone happen to know of a bass that is cheaper than this, yet has a similar tone as I'm new to playing bass, and I'm looking for a descent starters bass :D

Thanks

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Well, it's an active Jazz bass with probally 60's spacing, so there are a plethora of basses that will fit that bill. Pretty much any Jazz is going to sound simular to that unless I'm missing something.

3. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Ah! Reita's bass from Gazette, love this band!

It's an active bass as Beav said and it has SD SJB-1n and SJB-2b pickups.

IF your looking for a cheaper alternative as this bass is way too expensive, just get an active jazz bass and replace the pickups the SD pickups Reita uses, should sound the same if not near the same. I mean it has an Alder body and maple neck with Rosewood fretboard like a Fender bass has :D

4. mikasaka

mikasaka

Feb 20, 2008
    Aye I love the band too, saw them back in 2007 in London, they were great :D

Don't happen to know if the SD pickups are available in the UK by any chance? Also, I'm pretty new to playing the bass, how would I upgrade the pickups? Would I be expected to change them myself or would I take them to a professional?

Thanks

5. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wow. I really like that, oddly enough. Too bad it doesn't have a P width nut. I know it doesn't, because I want one.

6. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Sweet! i wish i went to see them, i didn't have the money then unfortunately :meh: although i did manage to see dir en grey in August and Girugamesh last month, they were awesome!

SD's pickups are available in the UK but imo i'd advise you to get them from U.S especially from this website:

www.bestbestgear.com

You save about £30 or so if you order SD pickups from U.S as UK is just overpriced blah! I bought 4 ultralite hipshot tuners from them last week, it only took 3 days to get here, 3 DAYS! That's bleeding fast shipping :eek::hyper:

7. mikasaka

mikasaka

Feb 20, 2008
    Awesome thanks for that, will check them out.

I think that An Cafe are playing in London next month too. Dunno if you listen to them but it's being held at Carling Academy. Also, £20 a ticket isn't bad going :D Will be a fun night.

----

Btw, you mean bestbassgear.com? I think you made a typo xD

8. Talk to Meev, he's in love with that bass :p

9. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    No problems, i love these ESP guitars and basses j-rockers use. I recently bought a Killer KB-Simmony from Japan, Toshiya used a similar bass to this one, it rocks!

Yeh An Cafe are playing, don't like them, too colourful and happy, makes me want to hit them lol! will need to wear shades in the queue as a word of warning haha

oops! yup! i meant www.bestbassgear.com, silly me! haha

10. mikasaka

mikasaka

Feb 20, 2008
    Sweet I saw Toshiya's guitar for sale on eBay the other day, was almost £700 buyout I believe ^.^ I bought 3 of Reita's picks off the same guy xD

Bah, I like An Cafe, makes a change from all the sad jrock songs and creepy intro's like Malice Mizer xD Ah well :D Whatever floats your boat :D

11. hahah damn right I am :smug:

Toshiya's bass is over-rated. Everyone plays them to "look coo". Same goes with signature picks. I have my own customs now.

Don't mind me for being cynical. When I was younger, Japanese rock was all I listened to. Biggest mistake I ever made for my bass playing.

Try a Schecter CX. Nails the tone pretty well.

I learned to do all of my work myself. I was poor at the time but I ended up turning it into a skill that I couldn't live without.

Since you're new, don't do any pickup swaps.

12. mikasaka

mikasaka

Feb 20, 2008
    I don't understand why it was a mistake to listen to JRock? Or do you just mean that you should have listened to a variety of music types?

I actually think Reita's bass lines are pretty cool, wouldn't know how advanced they are though as I am a complete noob to playing the bass. Would love to be able to play them myself one day.

As for the Schecter I will check it out :D Its actually not to bad price wise, I've just got to find a site that sells it and would ship it out to the UK (unless the link you sent me does).

I was reading a review of the bass and it said this: "Just don’t forget to unplug it when you're not using it so it doesn’t kill the battery"
    I don't quite understand it... are bass guitars battery powered? :/ :confused:

13. I should have been listening to blues and jazz more. That and roots/folk music. No matter how much of an age gap I have with another musician, there will be those two genres that we can relate to. Jrock taught me to be unique but it didn't teach me how to function as a bassplayer. It really depends on your goals though. When not with my band, I play percussion and bass for the blues musicians at the farmers market, and I spend a lot of time at the local vintage shop. Nothing gets me respect faster than being able to speak a musical language that other musicians can relate to.

listen to a lot of ska, punk, and rockabilly. Reita is more of a punk-rock player than anything, and takes that aesthetic into his playing.

I highly suggest the schecter, or any EMG equipped bass. I save my P-bass for special occasions, but with my band,
    I go for that hi-fi sound. The last time I checked, there are quite a few dealers in the UK. You'll just have to find them.

basses with batteries in them, are battery powered, so it would be best for you to be mindful of unplugging things.

14. Reita

Reita

Jun 4, 2009
    Yes it's Japanese.
    It is the signature Guitar of Reita (172cm) from the GazettE.
    You canget it on ESP but it is 300,000 yen.
    That's roughly around 2000 sterling BUT you can get that exact same model but made by grass roots via the ESP site.
    It is made with the exact same materials but sifferent pick-ups, and it's only 65,000 yen. (about 400 sterling).
    Here:
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...nh=54&tbnw=143&prev=/images?q=rf00&hl=en&um=1

Have fun.
    Good luck!