1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Esperanza on NPR

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spent, Mar 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Dr. Cheese, wintremute and nutdog like this.
  2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    So, what did she say, rather than wade through 10 minutes of audio on my phone while I'm eating lunch?

3. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    It might violate the TB rules. Worth listening to in her voice. You won't be disappointed.

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    That was worth 10 minutes.

Spent likes this.
  5. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Thank you for sharing.

Spent likes this.
  6. Blueinred

Blueinred Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    Uh. I'm gonna have to excuse myself. I've got to have some private time after listening to that. (If you listened to it and don't know what she looks like, look directly left of these words.)

farshore and Spent like this.
  7. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Thank you

/rick

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    That was totally worth waiting for!

9. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    She's a hoot. I read an interview not too long ago...wish I remembered on what site! But she curses like a sailor and generally sounds like she has no time for foolishness. And I love it.

Dr. Cheese and Spent like this.
  10. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    farshore and el jeffe bass like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I will look for this.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a cool interview. I think the cursing is a bit calculated, she certainly expresses herself wonderfully with or without profanity. I can understand her frustration. I forgot her name, but I remember when Adrian Belew's bassist seemed to be freaked out by a TB'er who told her he admired her so much that he wanted to marry her. We guys are bad about sexualizing women at all times. Often, the way we express admiration is to see a woman as hot. Women do it to men also, but as Spalding says, men dominate everything, sexual attention from men can be stifling for a woman.

My impression of Esperanza Spalding is that she is damn serious about her music! That is how she has become a great artist. She has the focus and discipline of someone who is at the very top of her profession. She is a great reminder that regardless of natural gifts, truly great players are without exception extremely hard workers.

brokenstoned and GregC like this.
  13. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Agree. There are a few on YouTube who are amazing musicians, but most of the comments are about their appearance. While some may welcome, or even encourage it, it is not appropriate. Just an example of how simple mind some of us guys are. Of course, in the interview I posted, she does get a little racy.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Esperanza Spalding is probably a literal genius. She of course appreciates that she is good looking, and that it is a great aid in marketing her music. I say enjoy her looks, if you like them, but most of us can go to the mall or just look out of the window, and see women as pretty as her. Spalding's music is what makes her unique.

Spent likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021