Essential Bass Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rope, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    What do you feel are the essential effects for a bassist to have in his arsenal and why?
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Some sort of distortion and an envelope filter are essential for rock. Anything else is icing on the cake!
  3. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    As far as mod pedals:

Flangers and Phasers = Good

Chorus = Bad
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Agreed. I tried for years to get a chorus to work for bass that was either noticeable or too harsh. Using a flanger delicately solved the problem. Glad to see someone else posted this.
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i disagree--love chorus!
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I tried a Boss Bass Chorus, and in the small amount of time that I played with it, couldn't get a very good sound out of it.

My band's demo has Day of the Eagle (R. Trower) on it, and for the end grind part (which is a few minutes long by itself on our demo - Man, does our guitarist play a killer solo + rhythm section) I used a chorus sound that was built into our recorder (tweaked from the default) to very good affect on the bass track! I love how it worked out on that part, so I'm not giving up on chorus yet!

I've also experimented with very short reverbs on the bass - even some short gated reverbs; I think there may be something to that too. Since we're on the subject: do any of you use reverb? Is there a decent reverb pedal with some nice short 'rooms' in there?

7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I don't know that any effects are essential per se. Personally I like something to add grit, some chorus from time to time, but even those I can operate without. Depends what sound you want in part I suppose.

8. +1. I also use a graphic EQ pedal (GEB-7) to add more flexibility to my sound.
  9. bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi guys!

Ok, I'm a natural gear-freak, but I actually use my effects a LOT in some of my bands.

Reverb - (EHX Holy Grail)

Chorus/Flanger - (T.C. Electronics)

Distortion - (T.C. Electronics)

Bass Equalizer - Boss GEB7 (used as solo-level)

Loop-station and delays - Line6 DL4

Volume-pedal - Ernie Ball

10. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    If you don't mind me asking, how much was the Boss Bass Equalizer? I'd really like to get one, if it's not too expensive. :)

11. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
  12. Boss GEB7 are about £65.00 approx $100 i tried one and found it good as a solo boost but the eq i could achieve the same results back at the amp.

Boss chorus CEB3 i found in a loud rock band even on quiet songs it had to be maxed to hear the chorus at all.

Boss BF3 this is good as you can get chorus and Flanger from the same pedal , chorus type of sound if you turn the flanger down.

Waiting to try Aphex Bass exciter and Aphex Punch Factory compressor hopefully to arrive today.
  13. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I use chorus, delay, wah, octaver, and compressor.

The only one of those that I would say is essential for me is the compressor (Tech21 compactor). I really notice its absence when my band does a quick and dirty no-effect practice...without, the sound seems amaturish on my setup. It helps me lay down a smooth, dependable sound for the rest of the band (I let the diva guitarists get the diva and my compactor are just happy to sit back and be the balls :bassist: )

The others are cool, but I wouldn't deem them essential. The chorus I use in about 50% of the songs (80s pop covers), and the delay wah and octaver in about 3.

The Nanny
  14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. Same with my Boss Compression Sustainer (I'll get a better one when I can, but this thing really does work well!). I use it full-time.
    ..better be careful how you say that, though. You're adding fuel to the guys who say "compressors are just used to make up for bad technique" - oy. For me the idea is that I can use how hard I pluck for either the purpose of controlling volume - which I would almost always like to remain fairly constant in my rock band - OR to control the TONE and character of the notes - which I just love to use to express myself. Of course if I'm not using a compressor then I can't use different tone characters in that way - unless, I suppose, I used a volume pedal to track along, furiously working to maintain volume.. but WAIT!.. That's what a compressor does, isn't it?!

I think that it's much more valuable to modulate tone and character, than to modulate volume. I need to keep my place in the mix, but still be a dynamic player; the compressor is my answer!

15. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Flangers and envelope filters are great for bass. I have a Boss GT-6B Bass Effects Processor pedal board and the effects in there are great and very tweakable. Though it's a little expensive, you won't need a huge aray of stomp boxes.

ElectroHarmonix BassBalls!!! My alltime favorite bass effect pedal. It's an envelope filter with a distortion switch. It's cheap ($80), easily found at most music stores and can really take a beating.

Bass effects are great as long as you use them wisely.
  16. Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I find the SansAmp indispensable. I went with the rackmount RBI version. I also live and die my my aural exciter. Try the Behringer Ultrafex 2500(?). It's inexpensive and comparable to the higher end Aphex models.
  17. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    flanger/phaser and a flexible overdrive
  18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    My maintwo are compression and a good graphic EQ. Luckily my Trace head has good ones built in. Other than those I use chorus from my Nightbass processor. The chorus' in this unit I think are really good.
  19. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Wow, I've never been able to put into words why and how I use the compressor in my signal chain. That's perfect. Thanks.