1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Essential Django Repetoire

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Jason Sypher, Mar 5, 2008.

1. So, I'm here in Amsterdam and I have the opportunity to round out a crack band of Gypsy Jazz players. I've heard plenty of Django and more importantly I think, I've played and listened to a lot of early Jazz and Swing. I think I really have something to bring to the table but, I don't really know what tunes I should focus on. There are some jam sessions to attend and I thought I would get my sea legs there before we actually put the band together. What tunes should be on my "A" list to memorize?

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Minor Swing and Peche La Mouche gets my vote.

Leo Smith likes this.
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Nuages.

4. Nuages (not knowing this one is a no-no!)
    Minor swing
    Swing '39
    Swing '42
    Djangology
    Swing guitares
    Troublant boléro
    Douce ambiance
    Manoir de mes rêves

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Troublant Bolero! I love that one, I gotta get the guys to pull that one up again.

We (Gypsy Pacific) never do a gig without playing Swing '42, Djangology, and Douce Ambiance.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    One time we did a gig with Larry Coryell as our special guest, and Nuages was a highlight that I won't soon forget. He did an improvised solo intro and outro that had us all with our jaws on the floor.

7. drew_bassmore

drew_bassmore Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2000
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Although, I am no expert, the folks from the Hot Club of San Francisco advised me to get some of the Robin Nolan, music minus one, Gypsy Jazz workbooks.

If nothing else, take a look at the repertoire for each volume, and use that as a guideline as what to focus on.

http://www.robinnolantrio.com/Books/gjb.htm

Unfortunately the bass has horrible intonation in places, and doesn't hold down the bottom to support other soloists much of the time, but I have found a couple of the books I have to be a nice way to run through some of the repertoire when there aren't jam sessions available.

8. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    I like Django's take on Sweet Georgia Brown

9. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Jason, How's it going/how did it go? Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Are you all set for tune recommends at this point?