1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Essential Effects for 70s Funk Bass Covers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cowboy in Latvia, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    I know that this is a broad question with not a lot of info but any thoughts will be appreciated. A friend and prospective bandmate has asked me to learn some 70s funk songs (Rubber Band Man and Disco Inferno) for a set he's putting together. I think these are pretty much effect free but that some other pieces of the era were playing with some effects. If it really does get serious which effects should I consider adding to my board? I should add that the covers will not be note for note.

My current board has a tuner, Big Muff (black Russian or reissue, I have both), MXR Bass Distortion, octave and Markbass Compressore along with a few less used pedals like phaser.

This leads to the question: Which effects do you consider essential to covering the 70s fingerstyle funk bass sound?

I'm considering an envelope filter but really have no idea what else I should consider. Yes, I've searched but not found much useful info...could just be my search skills suck tonight.

Thanks for your time.

2. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I guess with that your pedalboard should be complete

3. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Filter and compressor.

dinoadventures likes this.
  4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Just the filter. You might not really need more than one drive pedal, strictly speaking.

Cowboy in Latvia likes this.
  5. Billy C.

Billy C. Billy C.

Having traveled in the 70's with backing bands for many of the well known Soul/Funk bands out of Phila., I can tell you pretty much what cuts the sounds you will need. 3 basic pedals, First I run into an MXR Phase 90, then into an MXR Stereo Chorus and then into ( I have recently switched to ) an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master (for a very short delay & a touch of reverb). This replaced my old Boss DM3 delay. My MXR Phase 90 & Boss DM3 were with me since 1973 and I upgraded the Stereo chorus from my old Boss Ce-2 chorus about 10 years ago ( gave me a WIDER Chorus sound ). I can assure you this will put you IN THE GROOVE! If you want to hear exactly what my sound is like, Listen to "For the Love of Money" by the O'jays, Its what I have used with them live. Also, the same sound is there (if you listen closely) to Rubberband Man. These 3 pedals will deliver that 70's sound!

Embra, DirkP, hsp-sandiego and 4 others like this.
  6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    MuTron

7. Envelope filter and phase shifter.

8. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Envelope filter
    Compressor
    Phaser
    Octave (if you plan on needing some Stevie Wonder sounds with that funk)

9. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    For that kind of sound the essential pedals for me are filter, phaser, octave, fuzz and OD.
    Filter and phaser gets into funky land. A light tubey OD gives you an old school sound and you can combine with the filter to get a great dirty filter sound. And a more synthy fuzz sounds great at funk music, like the Prunes & Custard.

10. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks all. I'll be expanding my board a bit soon due to a bonus at work. As for the OD, any suggestions? I have a lot of distortion/dirt pedals (for me) but would be willing to look at the right OD.

Nunovsky likes this.
  11. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Man, you'll hear so many diferent sugestions on OD's...
    You can't go wrong with the Grizzly, the fifth gear, Hudson Broadcast, Way Huge Pork Loin, Aguilar Tone Hammer or Ss/Bs Mini.

Cowboy in Latvia and tfer like this.
  12. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I’ll throw the Mojo Mojo into the mix.

It doesn’t alter the tone of my basses at all, and can go from a very light grind to full blown.

Cowboy in Latvia and Nunovsky like this.
  13. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    And the best of it is the price... ;)
    I'm also looking forward to try the new tube pedal by TC, it would be also a nice alternative.

tfer and Cowboy in Latvia like this.
  14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    My top pedals for funk are a light overdrive - either no pedal and just push the gain on my Orange Terror Bass, or use an Aguilar Tonehammer or Bearfoot Blueberry pedal.

For filters, the wettest, greasiest, stankiest of them all is the Fwonkbeta. Doesn’t work in every situation, there’s nothing out there funkier.

Nunovsky and Cowboy in Latvia like this.
  15. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I've done a similar gig.

- octaver
    - envelope filter
    - overdrive or Fuzz
    - tuner

With that you can do 99% of the 70s stuff. Yep it's not a complete exustive list of fx but those will get the job done