Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essential Primus

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Jul 17, 2004.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I need some recommendations, if you'd be so kind...

I only have one Primus CD Antipop. I checked some DVDs out from the library called Rockthology. The one with Primus has a song titled (I believe) Tom the Cat, which is on the Swimming in a Sea of Cheese (or something like that).

To the Primus/Claypool afficianados...what are the essential Primus CDs to own? And why?

Thanks for your help!!

2. Frizzle Fry
    Sailing the Seas of Cheese
    Pork Soda

Very very VERY important in a Primus colection.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Sailing the Seas of CHeese is - THE Essential Primus ALbum. Also check out Frizzle Fry, Tales from the Punchbowl, Pork Soda and The Brown Album are all great! Their cover albums (Rhinoplasty and Miscelaneous Debris are good too) You might also want to check out some of Les' side projects such as Sausage, Oysterhead, The Holy Mackerel and of course the frogbrigade. He has a new one too but I forget the name, somethign like Claypools bucket of bernie brains or something....

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The first three:

Suck On This

Frizzle Fry

Sailing The Seas Of Cheese

Never liked Pork Soda, but that's just me(?)

5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I've owned (I think) two Primus albums in the past, and in both cases I traded the cd in after a few months.
    To my view, it's nice to hear the music of three very skilled musicians, but most of the songwriting seems weak to me and his singing voice turns me off after some time.

A more general observation: in Holland it is common to listen to a cd with the headphones in the store before buying (I know it is not common in most shops in England, for instance), and when I like the record instantly...I already know that it is going to bore me after a week. That's what I usually had with Primus.
    Having said that, I would recommend either Sailing the Seas or Frizzle Fry.

6. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Frizzle Fry, Sailing the Seas of Cheese.

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if i could only own one it would probably be suck on this.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I'm blessed with a large group of suburban libraries that allow interlibrary loans...I have five or six Primus discs coming my way shortly to give them all a pre-purchase listen.

9. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Animals should not act like people is a good DVD/CD if you want to see what they are like live and some of their videos. It covers all of their CD's so you can get a feel of what they are really like.

10. I think Seas of Cheese is then quintessential album. Definitely THE Primus album to own.

11. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Frizzle Fry

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Frizzle Fry and Sailing the Seas of Cheese. And also Suck on This if for nothing else than the YYZ - John The Fisherman intro. Awesome stuff!

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Looking forward to that Bucket of Bernie Brains CD coming out this fall...

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I have all of Primus' albums and all of Claypool's side projects except for Highball with the Devil, which I could never get into. It's really hard for me to pick a fave because I like them all. My LEAST favorite is The Brown Album. Sailing the Seas of Cheese is the album that originally got me interested in them back in '91 or so.

Tales from the Punchbowl is a great album IMO. I think they put together some really great songs on that one and they were at the top of their game as far as playing goes. One of my favorite songs off of that one is Over the Electric Grapevine but I think it has a lot of strong songs.

If I had to recommend I'd say Seas of Cheese or Punchbowl. Yes, I think Frizzle Fry is a great album but I'd recommend that as a second one if you liked the first Primus album you bought. I think the other two I mentioned are better 'starters'. YMMV.

brad cook

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I thought I'd hate The Brown Album and I picked it up used (for 4 bucks) anyway. While it does rank at the bottom (or near it) of Primus recordings, I actually don't think it's that bad.

Animals Should not act like People, their latest EP, is a VERY welcome return to the Primus of old. I sort of see it as a cross between Seas of Cheese and Pork Soda. In fact, it has one of my all time favorite Primus tunes on it - "My Friend Fats", which they jam out live.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't think it's bad either...it has its moments...it's just my least favorite of their albums.

I like Animals Should Not Try to ACt Like People too. Especially Mary the Ice Cube. Can't wait to hear the Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains album.

brad cook

17. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    I know it all. I own every single album Les ever put out. I own it all. I suggest Frizzle fry if you were only going to buy one, because it's a lot less wierd. I find with most people I show primus to I start off small like frizzle fry, cuz later on with tales from the punchbowl they were doing so many f*$king drugs, that album is soooo wierd. Buy frizzle if your only looking for 1 album, but if you want even more then look into sailijng the seas of cheese, and pork soda, both very good.

18. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    I know it all. I own every single album Les ever put out. I own it all. I suggest Frizzle fry if you were only going to buy one, because it's a lot less wierd. I find with most people I show primus to I start off small like frizzle fry, cuz later on with tales from the punchbowl they were doing so many f*$king drugs, that album is soooo wierd. Buy frizzle if your only looking for 1 album, but if you want even more then look into sailijng the seas of cheese, and pork soda, both very good. By the way if you were looking for the cd with tommy the cat it's on sailing the seas of cheese.

19. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    woops i posted twice

20. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Hrm... I always thought Les was clean....(well he is now at least) but I never thought he was big into the drugs. Although I never really bothered to research it.