1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Essex SX bridge upgrade question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Mar 31, 2009.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I am looking to upgrade the tuners and bridge on my SX p-bass. I am fairly settled on Hipshot HB7 tuners, they look like the closest match.

For those TBers that have upgraded, what bridge have you all upgraded to and been pleased with?

2. Bommi64

Bommi64

Mar 27, 2009
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Gotoh 201

4. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    +1

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    NOTE: Some bridges are thicker than others and in some cases 'can' end up needing the neck to be shimmed in order to get the action low. Just depends on the bass.

Badass and Gotoh bridges have been known to be thicker than other bridges.

Just FYI.

6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    If I go with the Gotoh, will the holes line up? I had assumed that I may need to re-drill based on SX "non-standard but close" way of building basses.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    As I am NOT a fan of high mass bridges in general, I went with a Wilkinson bent metal bridge, which is pretty much just a higher quality version of what was on there.

Very litte difference in tone, as the stock bridge actually sounds pretty decent.

The only reason I even did the upgrade was because I got the bridge for next to nothing, and the chrome plating was a little nicer.

I prefer a vintage Fender type tone, so high mass bridges are a step in the wrong direction for me. If felt like spending money for the sake of spending money, I'd go with the Hipshot Vintage style bride, specificly for the ease of changing strings.

Regarding tuners, I veiw that as a waste of money as the stock SX units actually function EXTREEMLY well. A little oil when they are new, and a few minutes working them in , and they're pretty smooth, and hold tune as good as anything out there.(required IMO)

8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The Gotoh Standard bridge works well. Also, Rondo's LTD bridge (which they use on their LTD models) shows up for sale on their web site occasionally. It's cheap and works well. Sort of like a BadAss-lite bridge.

9. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I put a 201 on my SX P and love it. However, if I had seen it before ordering the Gotoh, I would have gone with the bridge from Brian at Buzzard's Bass in the link above. I am going to get that bridge, in 5 string, in black for my 5'er.

And the 201 holes were a direct match for the SX. The top 2 holes on the SX bridge are covered by the Gotoh 201, and assume it to be true with the bridge from Brian.

10. has anyone had any experience with the "high mass bridge" that is on rondomusic.com? it's 20$ and looks decent. I can't find it right now ... it might be out of stock ... but does anyone have any info on it?

11. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    That bridge that Rondo sells sometimes is the one that comes on the SX LTD models. I don't have any experience with it, but the holes won't line up with a regular SX. Some people have said it's not that great though. I've been using the OEM deluxe ones off Buzzard's bass shop on my SX's and have been happy with them. They are direct replacements for an SX, or a Fender, and don't cost much more.

12. very helpful, thank you :)

13. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks everyone.