Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Etienne Mbappe

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Daniel L., Oct 20, 2004.

1. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    There's been a lot of talk lately about Richard Bona, but I don't think people realize that there's another great bassist from Cameroon.....Etienne Mbappe!

He sings/plays/composes and does it all amazingly well. If you're a fan of Richard Bona you owe it to yourself to check out Mbappe. He truly is a hidden gem and one of the most underrated bassists out there.

Here are some links to some of his albums.

Etienne Mbappe "Misiya"

Chic Hot "Satyagraha"

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thank you so much for talking about Etienne. I hope to hear more and more from him in the future. If anyone from Paris chimes in here I'd love to know what club it is that he plays at regularly.

3. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    Yeah, there's not much info out there about him.

Besides his solo work, he also is in the group Chic Hot and plays with Joe Zawinul too. Not sure what other projects he's involved in.

I'll probably post a song off the Chic Hot album after this song has been up for awhile.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That Etienne Mbappe is smokin'! I am always amazed when I hear the great musicians, especially bassists, that come out oF Africa. I have been blessed to have spent time in AFrica on six occassions, but the next time I go, I will take my bass. I may get smoked like a sausage, but I'm gonna have to jam with these guys.

5. Saw him in Vienna with Zawinul and he totally smokes! He gets a great fretless like sound by playing with gloves.

6. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    He is great!

Mo'

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Did he ever play for Jean Luc Ponty?

8. Hey Woodchuck - I think you're thinking of another guy - Etienne has been touring with Joe Zawinul - always the sign of a great bass player - from Jaco onwards, Joe's used Bona, Garrison, Etienne, Victor Bailey - need I say more...BTW Zawinul's last solo album 'Faces and Places' is excellent for a load of smoking Afro-jazz fusion grooves from Bailey, Bona and Etienne - well worth checking out - I keep playing along to it and it's always an inspriing listen and a dictionary of cool funky African-influenced grooves.

9. obi 2 kenobi

obi 2 kenobi

Oct 22, 2004
    Hi just joined

In answer to the various posts, I lived in Paris for 10 years from '92 in a street just behind 3 jazzclubs (rue des lombards), the clubs being Sunset, Baiser Sale and Les Ducs des Lombards.

In '92 / '93 I went to the Baiser Sale for the first time on a sunday nite. They had a trio (keys, bass, drums), Francoise Pujol I seem to remember. I was blown away by the bass player who was Richard Bona. Over the years I've seen him about a dozen times along with Etienne Mbappe (who played with Ultramarine), all in the same 3 clubs. Some great gigs, in tiny venues, sometimes just half a dozen people in the audience !

Later on, around 2000, I saw another trio. Half way thru the gig, they switched instruments and a guy from the audience joined on keys. There were only about 5 in audience including my wife and myself. The old keys player switched to bass and the trio went thru various fusion classics (got a match etc). The bassist was Linley Marthe, a guy from Iles Maurice. He was incredible. I've seen him in various musical formats since then. Amazing range of sound and feel.

All 3 of these bassists are supremely musical - and all 3 have played with Zawinul (Marthe is now is current bassist).

10. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

That's interesting. I wonder how he came up with that? Maybe it's to protect his fingers?

Thanks for the pic Maurilio.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's sound similar to Tony Leving getting a semi-fretless sound on Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" by using a baby's diaper. At least that's what I read he did.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Etienne uses the silk gloves because of his wife's suggestion to help with his constant sweating.

Base Sale, that's the place in France I was thinking of. I'm dying to get to Paris.

Tony Levin did use a cloth diaper, very cool.

13. I don't see how wearing a diaper would help him get a different sound! :) Although it might help him with his runs!

14. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi there,
    you're more than welcome.
    I saw him the first time years ago in Switzerland at a jazz festival (Lugano Estival Jazz) with Zawinul (by the way, I was working on the stage with the company that was running the PA and lights). Best sound and groove of all the festival (with the Sadowsky from the pic).
    I saw him one more time here in L.A. (he was playing a Noguera, I think) I didn't like that much..... but his playing is great!

Aloha

Mo'

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL!! BTW, who did play bass for Jean Luc Ponty? He too was a bad man! IIRC, I think he was an African bassist as well.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've gotta say, we all need to pay close attention to the African players coming out. These guys are light years ahead of the rest. They grow up hearing all these amazing poly rhythms and it becomes natural for them. Then they learn the jazz language on top of that. These guys are playing the coolest **** out there. I got to hear a live recording of Nguyen Le (Parisian guitar player) with an all African band. I just couldn't get it man. It was way over my head rythmically. I guarentee anyone I know whould have struggled with it. I've gotta say though, it was some of the best music I've ever heard. This is why I'm dying to get to Paris. A lot of African musucians are moving up that way and integrating into the musics there. I feel this is where the future of music is heading.

17. who is the guy that was playing bass in Stanley Clarke's band last tour? I am pretty sure he was from Cameroon too, and he was smokin'!

18. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Armand Sabal Lecco has played low bass for Stanley for quite some time. He's from Cameroon as well. I'm not familiar with SC's latest tour lineup, but it's probably him.

I guess this makes Cameroon the new Philly when it comes to hotbeds of bass talent.

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It might have been Armand Sabal Lecco (probably misspelled). He has worked with Stanley Clarke for quite a while now.