1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EUB and Electric Thru Same Rig

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by billinbrasil, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Yesterday I used my Stagg EUB for the first time on stage (70s and 80s rock) for a few songs. Since I use my "normal" basses (a Jazz Bass Special and a fretless Stingray) for most of the set, my rig is EQ'd for that purpose.

In summary, the EUB sounded like poopiee.... I'm thinking of putting a 15 band equalizer between the EUB and tuner input. Thoughts??

TIA

2. For what it's worth I found that pulling 800hz down by about 10-12db really helps to remove the honky sound of a piezo EUB. Ideally use parametric filter. But most graphic eq pedals have 1khz and if you look around there are some that have a slider for 800hz - like the Arion MEQ-1 which works great for me.

3. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Try a preamp before your regular amp.

ps - I own a Stagg and its internal preamp doesn't sound so good on its own.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Dabndug likes this.
  4. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    Absolutely! I switch between a ply upright with a Full Circle pickup and an EBG into an Aguilar TH500. I have a Fishman Pre between the upright and rig and this enables me to dial in the appropriate volume and eq for each bass.

nolezmaj likes this.
  5. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    What kind of amp are you using?

6. A small parametric EQ could be more useful than a 15-band fixed one.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    A dedicated pre with eq that suits the eub is the way to go.

In addition I also use a cab with two settings. It’s a 2*12+5. With a switch between just the 12’s fullrange or the 12’s, the 5 and the cross-over. I prefer just the 12’s with their 2k bump for eb and the more hifi setting with the 5 for eub.

Zbysek likes this.
  8. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I don't know much about eq and stuff, it it's hard to beat the sound of a Jazz Bass Special. Love both of mine.

Carry on.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've never used two rigs. The suggestions about preamps and 800hZ are dead on. I'll also suggest a high pass filter (HPF) to deal with feedback if the preamp or amp doesn't have one.

Thank goodness there are now lots of two channel amp options again after the long drought starting back in the 1980s. I can EQ and set volume for each bass the way I want.

nbsipics likes this.
  10. 800RB

11. Thanks for the tips!! I’ll try to borrow a preamp to see what I can get out of it

12. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Your eq settings on the GK for electric bass are probably not going to be ideal for your EUB.

Consider getting a loop pedal that you can insert into the effect loop of the 800RB and connecting your EUB and preamp pedal into that looper. Then you don’t have to change your regular eq settings for you bass guitars and utilize a neutral sound from the effect loop to use for the EUB and whatever eq manipulation your future preamp pedal provides.

13. dylanjohnson

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Here is a hint for URB through an 800RB. Crank the bass knob and pull the treble knob all the way back. This was a trick I've used for Ampeg baby bass and other EUBs. 800RBs were pretty much the standard amp lots of latin bass players used for many years. Steve Azola posted this years ago and it worked well for me.

14. dylanjohnson

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Also, the 800RB has a low freq cutoff that is pretty high. IMO it works much better for upright and EUB than most people think.

15. I'll check those tips out, thanks!!

16. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    IME, the best results can be achieved when you send the FOH different lines out for each, the EUB and EBG. I have tried to use both instruments throu two-channels preamp into one amp and one XLR out...it can be done but the result is always a compromise. Therefore, I bring two amps, if I can. Been there, done that...

17. Two amps?? I’m doing everything I can to downsize my current rig. My late 50s frame is tired, tired, tired.....

Zbysek likes this.
  18. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Me too. I have been using class D amps and lightweight neo cabinets.

The thing is that I have realized, that I usually bring two cabinets and one back-up amp (TE Elf) to a gig... So when I need to double on both the EBG and EUB, I simply use one cabinet with the main amp for the EBG and the other cabinet with the back-up amp for the EUB. No need to bring more stuff than usually...

If you only want to use one amp and one cabinet, you still can use Grace Design Felix preamp. It is two channel preamp with two XLR outputs for each channel...and one amp out.

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/felix/Felix_connection_digram1.pdf

19. “Me like” this Grace Design preamp!! Are there parametric adjustments for one or both of the inputs??

I bet this thing costs a fortune...

20. Around a thousand US$......

Zbysek likes this.