1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EUB DB string height

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by mikejdexter, Dec 9, 2018.

1. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Hope I am in the right forum here.
    Those of you who play both the EUB and DB.
    My question: Do you have the same string height from the end of FB on both the EUB and DB?--The EUB is purely electric and letting the amp do the work as opposed to an acoustic DB. What height measurement at the end of FB suits you? My guess is the EUB height would be lower--until a 'buzz' / rattle is heard--maybe?

2. Same setup for me.
    With lower action you won’t be able to dig in as you do on the AUB.

3. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Hi Francois
    Just as I thought. I'm the kind of DB player who likes to 'dig' in.I have tried to get a really low action on the EUB--not for me. Same goes for me on DB--a low action does not suit the way I play.

4. The setup on my Clevinger is a bit lower than on my acoustic DB, but only because I have steel core strings on the EUB (and they even could be a bit higher to grab them better) and synthetic core strings on the acoustic DB. Tension is similar.

It would have been wiser to use a more damped string on the solid top EUB than on the acoustic bass for a similar sustain, but I use the EUB rather seldom now.

5. I use, and very much for that purpose, Prelude strings on the EUB.
    They have a warm tone without much sustain.

Zbysek likes this.

6. String height depends on many conditions, such as your way of playing, the expected sound, a particular bass, strings type, etc.
    A double bass is not a guitar, you cannot use a template and a ruler here. You tune the instrument for the sound you want and then find out the string height if you want to measure it.
    The EUB does not have a large breathing body and can usually be adjusted more precisely. And yes, he does not need to sound loud. Therefore, the strings on the EUB are lower than on the DB.

7. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    I try to have about the same string height on both. Mainly because I use the eub for rehearsals and don’t want to become used to the ease of playing of the eub. I also think the eub sounds better if tou have to put a little work into it.

8. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Thanks guys for your useful info.