Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EUB pre-amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Jonesy4fnk, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I'm looking to work on my Clevinger EUB tone by finding a good pre-amp that's geared towards the EUB. All the research I'm doing is usually in terms of acoustic pre-amps so I was hoping to find some advice from any EUB players on this.

Right now I just run my Clevinger into a Carvin mixer, into a power amp. It works, but I can tell I'm missing out.

I'm looking at the Fishman Platinum Bass EQ, since its supposedly good for EUB and acoustic.

Any suggestions?

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Jonesy4funk,
    I have an older Clevenger that used the Diamond Sonance pickup system. Basically, it was just several piezos imbedded into
    a "diamond shaped" resonating block, that the "bridge" rested on.
    I found that the Fishman standard preamp improved the tone
    somewhat. If Martin is still using piezos, the Fishman buffer preamps like the Platinum should help. Although it did improve
    the tone, it wasn't a big enough difference in sound for me to bother carrying the extra preamp. Overall, the tone quality was more even, but is still sounded like a EUB, so I quit using the
    Fishman Preamp. My advice would be to try it out several gigs
    before you buy one.

Ric

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to EUB forum.

....by the other DB mod....

4. Jonesy4fnk

the Deluxe has the arco virtuoso pickup, it looks like a piezo under each string.

Like you mentioned I may just need to take it to a store and tryout a few pre-amps. Since its an EUB, a pre-amp geared towards elec. bass may work as well as one geared towards acoustic. My Ampeg pre-amp doesn't sound bad, but I know there's a better option out there.

thanks

5. This may be a step in a slightly different direction, but I was amazed at the sound of my DB through an Eden WT-330, into a cheap 1x15(Fender BXR-115b). My pickup is a Radio Shack piezo, the preamp is a K&K Pure- but I went straight into the Eden, totally bypassing the preamp. The sound was amazing! It seems to me that each bass & player is going to have an ideal amp/preamp setup, which may not work nearly as well for the next guy, but if you're not satisfied w/your sound, & have not tried Eden, I siggest you do- you may(like me)be pleasantly surprised. :hyper:

6. Jonesy4fnk

right on....I'll be checking out a few different pre-amps for sure. Thanks

7. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i love the sound of the new sans amp para di pedal... it warmed up my messenger bass sound alot. worked wonders for me double bass too

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  9. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    hello
    i've been using an ebs microbass2 pre-amp/pedal with my nscr5m and it has been great...as many features and the same quality build as their rack pre-amp in a small pedal format.
    real expensive in the u.s.a. but really good sounding, with more quality features than any other pre-amp pedal i've used or tried...
    here's a link:

http://www.ebs.bass.se/index2.html

cheers
    d

10. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i want that pedal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after i got my sans amp para driver i noticed that pedal... pretty much similar features, but it's also a blender!! i love the mid sweep for my messenger bass and for my upright, and both benefit from just a hint of drive... just enough to bring it out of the background slightly (and hear my intonation better..) all the reasons i love my para driver, but with my upright, i have 2 pickups that i use.... and i have to run them through a raven labs blender first, which to me, sounds alittle brittle... if you crank the lows and mids and roll off all the highs you can get a decent sound. i've heard others with the same comment... so with my upright i run both pickups through the raven labs with the eq flat, just as a blender for volume purposes, and then out the effects send through the sans amp for eq, then into the power amp input on my amp... best sound i've gotten so far im my 20 yrs playing, but i think with the ebs i'd be able to leave the raven labs at home... is the ebs warm? would you say it's worth the huge price tag to just leave my raven labs at home? or should i continue the way i'm going since it works? thanks.

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    one thing i just noticed, the sans amp bass control is centered at 80 and the ebs is at 100... i think one of the reasons i like the sans amp is because of that 80 center... many of my other eq's and pedals have centers at 100, but 80 seems to hit that spot at least for me...

12. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    the para-mid frequency on the ebs sweeps all the way down to 50, up to
    2k so there's alot in there... the filter switches interact with the tone knobs as well so there's all kinds of shelving and shaping available,
    especially with the channels stacked. nice soft-clip tube emulation circuit and nice speaker emulator as well. the fx loop sold me on it,
    i run my fx into my sound using a volume pedal with them in the loop.
    this pedal has a very warm analog(it is all analog) sound.
    i had to make the investment, it was for lack of a better phrase over-the-top cost-wise but it's the only pedal of it's size that i could find that does all this with an fx blend/loop. and it fits in my eub case.
    d

13. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    yes, very cool... but if i were to use the mid knob to boost the 80 hz, where would i get the 200 hz boost that i love so much too?? :) seriously, with the para driver, i boost the 80 alittle, the 200 alot, with the upright, and i cut the highs alittle.

14. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i see your dilemma.
    but you can get the same basic eq curve you speak of by cutting a bit at 120hz,and turning down the treble and edge controls. then a little more gain to get it to the same output volume. subtractive eq, same result.
    nice thing about these pedals, very versatile eq. but once again it was the fx loop that sold me.
    worth a listen for sure.
    cheers
    d

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I use a SansAmp Acoustic DI and it does a great job of cleaning up the sound of a piezo, even if you don't do anything with the preamp.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I used my Sadowsky pedal on my Knutson Messenger the other night.....I don't know why I haven't been doing this before...it really brings out the Messenger and tighten things up.

:)