1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EUB stand and deadspots

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by patman01, Sep 30, 2008.

1. patman01

patman01

Oct 25, 2007
    I use a Pace---it's got a nasty deadspot at e flat on the A string--I raise the action pretty high, but the difference in timbre is noticeable...

The odd thing is that there's no deadspot when the instrument is off the stand---I've dressed the hell out of the fingerboard and it plays great...very slick very smooth...everything vibrates "properly" when off the stand

When I put it on the stand, the deadspot rears it's ugly head...

Has anyone else encountered this with a stick EUB, and does anyone have any suggestions for a fix????

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I don't have that problem with mine. I know that weight that people clamp to their headstock works miraculously for illiminating dead spots on EBs. Not sure if it would have the same effect on a PACE. I forget what you call it though.

3. patman01

patman01

Oct 25, 2007
    Thank you--it's just that the problem is driving me nuts, and I have experience setting up fretless basses and dressing fingerboards....and can't figure this problem out....was hoping for a clue from Pace, Ergo, Wave etc users. Thank you again....

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Probably the stand is acting as a natural mute for some specific frequency. Maybe mod the stand so that it's more isolated from the rest of the weight of the stand?