1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EUB that feels close to a real upright

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by NTdot, Mar 30, 2017.

1. NTdot

NTdot

Jul 30, 2014
    Looking for suggestions as to what might be a good EUB option for me.

Many years ago I had a 7/8th size upright that I played, got busy with other stuff but would like to get back into it, unfortunately noise in my condo is an issue so I figure an EUB is the way to go.

I am more interested in form factor than tone (thou obviously both would be great). I would like something that feels as close to a real upright as possible, i.e. a NS design wouldn't be for me. Also I am in Canada so my options may be a little limited as we seem to have fewer options up here, for instance I haven't been able to find a Canadian Alter Ego distributor online.

Lot's of info on here and other places, but thought I would get some opinions, I would also be interested in hearing from anyone in Canada who has picked up an EUB and your experience / where you got it from etc.

Thanks!

2. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
  3. Volante Bass, Yamaha Silent, etc.

I looked for a similar request and did not find anything. I ordered the production of a EU-bass for the luther. The idea was to use the neck (with a headstock, tuners and fingerboard), tailpiece, endpin and bridge from a real double bass, but use a solid body. luther made it for me using parts from the Czech bass. It was a very convenient tool for rehearsals at home. He felt like a double bass and at the same time he sounded quiet. But it turned out to be bad for everything else. He did not have a double bass tone and sounded like a wood-board. He also did not have such a feedback that a double bass has. At the same time it was big and heavy. He also did not allow rehearsals in my home, because through the spire he transmitted vibrations to the floor and walls. He is not a "home-bass"!

I also used BSX and Triumph EUB for several years. All of them are not similar to a double bass and did not seem comfortable for me at home.

I agree with the opinion that the EUB is harmful if it is used for rehearsals instead of a double bass.

I realized for myself that the only advantage of EUB in its small size and weight. I bought Ergo and I'm happy with it. It almost does not transmit vibrations to the floor and walls. This is something that allows me to play at home and not disturb my family. I can easily take it with me on a journey. Its sound is not very similar to a double bass. But... Nothing can replace a large acoustic bass.

4. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    I have Yamaha Silent - SLB100. A neck is like upright and thanks to body-like frame You can balance it quite close like real acoustic bass.
    Tone is really good too - similar to acoustic equipped with realist pickup.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You can get the feel of the neck easily enough, but the body...nope.

I've owned 3 EUBs and tried many others. All of the various extensions intended to emulate the parts of the body you lean on feel fake.

VictorW126 likes this.
  6. Up and Away

Up and Away

May 16, 2015
    Another vote for the Yamaha SLB 200.Feels good and sounds good and I have found the tone controls to be very sensitive and useful to get the sound I like.The volume control is also a big part of the sound on these EUB's.I play in a jazz standards quartet and usually DI into our Bose PA and rarely play through my amp except at home.
    I am also in Canada(Ontario) and found my first EUB(Stagg) and the Yamaha on Kijiji although it took some searching and time.They are also available through some music stores including Long and McQuade.They are expensive(overpriced according to many people) but I was lucky and found a used one.Happy hunting.

7. NTdot

NTdot

Jul 30, 2014
    Fantastic, thanks for the feedback everyone. The Yamaha seems like it might be a good option as I can try before I buy, Long and McQuade do seem to stock them.

I checked out the MK basses, look good and sound good but not sure I'd find one here and ordering sight unseen is a bit of a scary proposition. Lot's to think about!

8. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    IMG_0235.JPG I ordered my MK sight unseen, but i love it

Cheez and SwitchGear like this.
  9. Eminence 4-String Removable Neck Bass

Common opinion holds the Eminence in high regard for look, feel, and sound of a full size upright. I bought one in Canada back when the dollar was on par. The price is closer to 6,000 CDN now. They have 4 and 5 string models--fixed or removable neck.

TomB and longfinger like this.
  10. {snickers}

11. I work with an Eminence 4 string EUB. It's pretty functional as a musical instrument. The T shaped endpin is annoying at first, but I got used to it. It still needs to be setup for you as a bassist but once done, it works very well. It's made of plywood, has an acoustic chamber, a bass bar and a sound post and uses a Realist pickup. Basic arco work with it is doable, but uninspiring. It feels different that a typical plywood upright, but again you get used to it, and focus on making music. In an amplified band setting it works very well. It's small, portable and light. Test one out. The purchase prices used to be quite cheaper 8 years ago!

I've heard good things about the Yamaha Silent basses, but have never played one.

TomB likes this.
  12. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Knutson Messenger

13. NTdot

NTdot

Jul 30, 2014
    Did you get the standard or ebony fingerboard? Also do you find the tuner placement to be awkward? What made you decide on the Studio vs. the other models? Thanks so much for the feedback, really appreciate it... and this goes for everyone, didn't realize there were so many options for EUBs... this turning into quite the research project!

14. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I got the standard. The tuner placement is little awkward to tune but nice for loading into the car. My stagg somehow got a tuner damaged probably from loading it in and out of the car. I went with the Studio mainly for price. The bag it comes with is really nice and I take and use the stand. It nice not having to lean it or lay it down.

15. Up and Away

Up and Away

May 16, 2015
    What is the cost of the Studio including bag,stand and shipping?Not trying to be nosey but nobody seems to talk about the price of these nice basses.Thanks.

16. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    If you email MK, he usually sends a price list in euros. Mine with shipping was around $1,800 USD. So it vary depending on the exchange rate. He takes about a month to build it and it takes a week or to for shipping. He packs the bass very well and sends pics of your bass before shipping. My bass is unique as I have a right handed strung bass with left handed wings. I noticed this detail had gone missed in the pics and he quickly built new wings and sent new pics.

17. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    That is much more reasonable than I expected. Now I want one!

bassfran likes this.
  18. NTdot

NTdot

Jul 30, 2014
    Yes I would recommend emailing MK, I sent them a number of questions including asking for quotes on all their models, heard back within 2 days. The prices I was quoted ranged from ~1700 to ~2700 EUR with shipping. I am seriously considering ordering 1 of their models as even with the forever crappy Canadian dollar exchange rate the price of these is much more reasonable than say a new Yamaha SLB 200, which with tax would run me around $5.5k Canadian, which is getting into the rather uncomfortable price range for me.

19. Up and Away

Up and Away

May 16, 2015
    I was lucky when I got my Yamaha SLB200,I found it in a Hock Shop ad on Kijiji and grabbed it fast at $1600(Canadian).It was in mint condition and came with a cheap but usable bow.That was about a year and a half ago and I have played it almost every day since then and used it on many gigs.You might get a similar deal somewhere(ebay?) but the MK looks and sounds good for the price.The drawback is that you can't try it before you order it.Happy hunting!
    Maybe a "wanted" ad in the classifieds on here?

20. NTdot

NTdot

Jul 30, 2014
    Sweet, that is a great price... the retail Long & McQuade price is... well pricey!