Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio Experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chadds, Mar 2, 2004.

1. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    1. Bob Gollihur (Wordsmith Music) is the dude! No hype.
    2. Everything he said about these amps and cabs was true. Off access tone and volume are equal to on center, volume, projection and accuracy are exceptional.
    3. I had some minor issues with the head/cab and all of the EA staff was on it like white on rice. They told me a temporary fix, and arranged for a replacement. Any company can have defects from suppliers the proof is in how they treat the customer.
    4. This is really high end gear. My Dave Maize ABG for the first time sounds real and I can with a preset boost the true low frequencies without muddying the rest. My Roscoe is incredible down to the low B. Guild Ashbory is phenomenal. IMHO a great amp can be played flat.
    5. What I purchased was a Cxl-112 and an iamp800. As I said in another thead I was going deaf practicing quietly because the projection and clarity is so extreme. Thank you, EA!

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yep, what he said. I've been using EA for about 3 years now. No need to look any further.

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I would like to thank the EA staff who helped me (and those behind the scenes). Thank you John, Larry and Gary.

4. reddavid

reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    I'll jump on this one.

Just bought an iAmp 800 from Bob. Great service from him all the way through.

The sound from the iAmp is fantastic - clear, powerful, projecting (how do you describe sounds?) Far better than any SWR and Eden stuff i've used. The preamp has too many options and adjustments for me at the moment - no problem - hit the "flat" switch and use one or two pre-sets/contours. Nice.

I'm glad to see a company designing and making a great product that stands behind it completely.

Red

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'll pile on here too. I had been playing 2 Aggie GS112s. I really enjoyed those cabs but had the chance a couple of weeks ago to take my amp system and my instruments and A/B test them against a couple of CXL112s. I had read all the posts here about the two cabs and I was expecting a little better sound from the EAs but I figured it would be splitting hairs. Was I ever wrong! What a difference! The EAs were significantly clearer, stronger mids, wider frequency response, better built, etc. I was honestly stunned. Needless to say, the Aggies, as good as they were, went on the market.
    I called up Mr. Gollihur and the rest is history.
    Thank you EA for making great gear and thank you Bob for being a great dealer!

6. :hyper: I have been using a CXL112 for approximately 2 years now and absolutely love it. I ran it with an Alembic F-1X through a QSC PLX1602/3002 during that time. But 3 weeks ago, I received the iAMP800 from Club Bass in TO and I have been blown away by the sound. This is the tone I have been looking for for years.

Now as soon as the PLX1602 sells, I'm ordering a second CXL112 or maybe the NL210 instead. I can just imagine what 2 EA cabs will sound like.

Thank you EA!

Rocky

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I want to thank everyone for their comments here. I haven't tried EA yet. Can't find it here, nor do I want to see what offensive prices they will charge.

I am currently using a Nemesis NC210P. I know it's not in the same league at EA. I'm occasionally playing being rooms these days. I feel the 2-10's and 225 watts being stretched a bit and so I'm looking for more power and the need to push more air. I'm not looking for old school sounds. I did that in the 70's unintentionally.

Do you guys think I should be pursuing 2-12's/ 4-10's or 1-15" ...or....more power/headroom and a 1-12 EA rig?

8. Living in Switzerland also I have to agree. The markup they slap on gear from overseas is ridiculous. You really don't want to know how much a Ken Smith or an MTD costs here, just insane.

bmc, I've had good experiences ordering from Bass NW and Bass Central for American products. Good service and acceptable prices even when taking shipping and customs into account.

9. how much are those iamp 800s? Not list, but what a dealer would sell if for

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

nothing like getting some EA scrimpf from the fo' shizzo in da izzo, Mr. "Pimpin' G" himself, Boo (ALL HAILIN') G.

dang, Snoop!! :ninja:

11. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Well if you want portability, tone and volume then maybe the iamp800 combo?

http://www.euphonicaudio-eu.com/iamp_800_combo.php

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

What??? Didn't your mama ever tell you not to talk with your mouth full?

13. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Nothing like getting fine EA gear from the wonderful Mr. Bob Gollihur himself

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if translation is needed, see below. :D

:hyper:

15. I just bought a iAMP 350 head with an Aggie gs112. I got the 350 because realistically, it's all the power I'm going to need and it was cheaper than the others--they're discontinued, but still in some retailers.

It sounds excellent--I think there is more potential in this head than I'll get to from a tone perspective. A big plus is the quality of the DI. I run it into my sound card (Metric Halo MIO) and get very sweet and variable tones printing to Logic. It drives the aggie fine. If push comes to shove, I'll add another to take full advantage it's power.

I only have two dissapointments: 1) I wish it had been even cheaper! But you pay for the goods. 2) Not all the 350s are rack mountable, and mine's one of the ones that isn't.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    EA iAMP 800 with either the Cxl-112 or the cab of my choice the NL-210!

Mike

17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Did you read the tone shaping article on the EA site?
    http://euphonicaudio.com/index.cfm?page=imready&subpage=articles&article=toneshaping

I really like the "fat tube amp" setting described. I leave the deep setting off though and tweak the low and hi (less low, more high). I also turn my tweeter almost off, which is probably why I want a bit more high.

I also like the settings flat (sometimes with deep) for a more "muscular" tone.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ah, thanks...Damn, I'm getting old. :)

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nah,

i'm just getting juvenile. :ninja: :D