1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Evah Pirazi-ish 4/4 strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Snufkin, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Snufkin

Snufkin

Dec 26, 2013
    Hey,

I'm borrowing a huge old 4/4 bass, which is brilliant but needs new strings. I'm fond of Evah Pirazzi, which - apparently - doesn't exist in 4/4 size. Will 3/4 strings work? If not, any suggestions?

2. Dimensions?
    Afterlenght toward the tailpiece, scale, distance between nut and uppermost tuner?

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    You might need dimensions but i know a guy who uses the evah mediums (and tried the weich) on a 4/4 bass with a 42 inch scale length and they were fine.

4. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    If the bass has a long scale, perhaps the Evah Solos would give the tension you're looking for. As far as whether they're long enough, this from the Gollihur website: 4/4 bass? Pirastro designs these 3/4 size bass strings to fit on a standard 3/4 size bass and most 4/4 basses. They may very well fit your bass if it is larger than 3/4. For your reference, the length of a representative string, as measured against the bass tailpiece to the nut is 55.5 inches (51.5" playable, 4" for silk-wrapped afterlength), plus an additional silk-wrapped 11.75 inches to handle stringing in the pegbox.

5. FWIW, Pirastro is also making a 5/4 set in Flexocor brand.

6. The Evah Pirazzi (Weich) fit onto my 4/4 110 cm 5-string bass.
    I would recommend the Weich, because for a longer scale you get more tension for the same pitch and since Evah regulars are rather high tension you won't want even more of it.
    I never had problems with strings from Thomastik (Spiro 4/4), Pirastro or D'Addario on my bass. Strings from smaller string makers might be shorter, like Pyramid, Efrano, Presto/Eurosonic etc.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021