1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever break a string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kyral210, Mar 24, 2009.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ok, simple question. Do you ever break bass strings? Should I have a spare bass ready when I play live just in case?

:bassist:

2. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    I used to every now and then was I was playing in a hardcore band, it's probably been 6 years since i've broken one now though.

3. the engine

the engine Guest

Yes, plenty. And yes.

4. depends on how sloppy you play. I played extremely sloppy when I started on my bass and I would break E strings. If you are a clean player, you should be fine.

5. Exospaciac

Exospaciac

Oct 20, 2008
    Van Nuys, CA
    I just broke a .020 string on my 7 string.
    I break bass strings all the time, but that's cuz I play really hard and really fast with fingers and extra light gauge strings.
    I haven't broken a B string in about a year, but every few months a string breaks on me.

6. Relative poverty/weak equipment+ louder bandmates=banging the strings harder in an effort to get more volume, leading to many broken strings. Bad habits die hard; I have broken strings in church. It's been a couple of years.

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    very simple answer to this question- if you break strings or not, you should have a spare when playing live.

You may have never broken a string ever before and unannounced to you, a burr can be developing on one of your saddles.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have broken strings (I busted a B string once! ???) I haven't broken one in years, but I wouldn't consider going onstage without a fresh pack of strings in my bag. You never know, you know?

9. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Only strings I've ever broken was a short time when I was using Dean Markley Blue Steels and they seemed to have a bad run of strings (both myself and my guitarist were busting strings pretty regularly).... but that was a long time ago and I haven't busted a string since I've switched brands.

10. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I've only broken one in 14 years. The G on a brand new set of DR Low Riders the first time I popped it.

11. Never ever when playing. I have broken one E string during tuning and retuning (setting intonation), and broke a few D and G's back in the days of cheap strings and a cheap bass.

12. Idiotpod

Idiotpod

Feb 11, 2009
    Got Djent?
    I've broken a .105 string that was tuned in C at the time, oh hardcore playing. <3

Also snapped a G once.

13. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    No and Yes.

14. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    I broke my G string about two months ago. (No jokes about g strings! lol)

I was surprized when it happened because I was tuning DOWN from a whole step up down to standard e-a-d-g. Don't know how or why it popped then.:confused: I think it was a .40 gauge.

15. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Yes, very rarely though (twice in total) and most definitely have a spare set. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

16. I haven't broken a string in 30 years. I have a very light touch.
    However, if I was playing a big venue, I'd have a spare bass & cable ready. But on my circuit, we don't have to worry too much about that!
    In my experience, an internal wire or solder joint in the bass is more likely to fail than for a string to break.

17. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I used to play in the beach every week and would always break strings. Hasn't happened lately...

18. I've broken strings a couple of times. Only got a clean break once when I first tried to restring my first bass seven or so years ago. Didn't realize the tuner I was using was busted and couldn't display the G, got confused, kept tuning up....snapped the string. Broke a few cores and had the strings unwind on me on stage. Gotta transpose an entire song and then do a quick string change. Not easy in a thrash band. >.<

19. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I haven't had a problem since I stopped using Earnie Ball strings.

20. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    Havent broken a string in years, but each bass has spare strings with it, either new or old but usable strings (they will do in a pinch)