Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Every computer geek will LOVE this...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by haujobb, Aug 25, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
  2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow. Those first-person shots are going to either be really cool or really lame, but it looks like they got the monsters to look like the game.

I saw some plasma guns, but I won't be really impressed unless the Rock gets to use a BFG9000. :D

3. Yea, this has been talked about for a while. Sounds very interesting. I was watching the trailer, and they used some of the sounds from the Doom3 game.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Maybe I'm not that big a geek, but I'm not really interested in it. :p

5. I hope they make it better than Doom 3 was. I didn't like the whole concept of having a gun and a flashlight, you can only use one at a time, and you need them both all the time. The graphics were great, just too bad the whole damn game was pitch black.. :ninja:

6. First off, it's hard to compare a game and a movie. About the no gun and flashlight at the same time, it's a great idea that really adds to the tension/scare factor.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The problem with Doom 3 was, that it got really boring after a while. The first halfhour you're thrilled because you're in the dark, you need a flashlight, but you need to shoot a gun too. Dillema! Problem is the game is completely linear, so one you're used to the spookyness, it gets pretty boring.

8. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    So then it fits in prefectly with the rest of the series...

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    yeah, but nowadays linear games don't cut it anymore.

10. im pretty sure u can use both at the same time some how....
    either that or i remember seeing people playing it differently in my head

11. You can if you download the "duct-tape" mod.on.)

12. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    As history has taught us, turning a game into a movie blows. See Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Super Mario Bros.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey, hey, hey - King Koopa was the role of Dennis Hopper's life.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I didn't like the old Doom games much, their first few levels were admittedly fun but the later levels usually had me enter the noclip cheat, zoom through the map a bit and then exit the game and load up Ultima Underworld instead. I remember liking the Doom 3 demo but not enough to buy the full game.
    The only pure FPS games I liked were Half-Life and the original Unreal.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Anybody remember Hexxen?

Good times.

16. Tis to make you **** yourself, get the mod where you have a tourch strapped to the gun then you pap

The creepiest bit is when you are walking down a corridor and a little girls voice tells you to go the other way :S :S

17. Hexen II was one of my favorite games. Great stuff.

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the movie will most likely not be that good, but I will see on opening night.

19. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I don't think it's gonna be all that great, but c'mon! It's Doom!

I also agree about linear games not cutting it anymore, hell when doom came out it put pong to shame, but nowadays the story writers make more money than the software engineers.

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, I really hope this is gonna be good, because I aint paying 8 bucks to see a first person action film, while I could be doing the same thing at home, for free, with me shooting a monstrous plasmagun!