1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Exact Eminence drivers in the Ampeg Svt 210av

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by madbanjoman, May 30, 2017.

1. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Anyone know the exact Eminence drivers that are in the Ampeg Svt 210av cabinet? Ampeg has the frequency range from 56 to 5k. I was curious how flat is across this range. I figured if I knew what driver was inside I could see frequency graph on Eminence's web site.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I seem to recall reading in the "megathread" that it is a proprietary driver developed specifically for Ampeg and not available for sale to the general public.

mikecd1 likes this.
  3. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    Its definitely proprietary and there is some discussion of it in the megathread. Its a great driver capable of very versatile sound, but most beautifully, the classic SVT sound. Very achievable with the right head and in my opinion, best with two cabinets. Whatever the driver is, for some reason I am able to get attack velocity volume increases by digging in with my fingers. Never had a cabinet so responsive to player touch. Here is a note from Al at US Speaker about the drivers and a recommendation if I wanted to replace them with a custom Alpha-10. I have been rather impressed so I haven't done anything so far and with a short break-in period, the stock speakers are great IMHO. I have a pic below with the specs on the speaker, but Eminence never gave up the specs and told Al it was like an Alpha 10 only in 4 ohms. The speakers are wired in series to get 8 ohms and not sure if that's part of the magic.
    From Al at usspeaker.com

"Mike,
    Eminence said it is similar to the Alpha-10 but in 4 ohms. They said they now have a custom shop that will do different impedances for any speaker in their line. It is 10% more for custom shop. The Alpha-10 can be done in 4 or 16 ohms and would be $54.99/each. Let me know what you want to do.
    Thanks,
    Al"
    file(3).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    madbanjoman likes this.
  4. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    One of the reasons I am so curious about them. I have run various guitar heads through them and they sound great. I have played my EUB into a Quilter TB 200 into them and the sound of my EUB came through beautifully. I originally bought a pair of them for a bugera svt clone head that I owned and they totally captured the ampeg svt sound. I sold the bugera head and at one time thought I would sell the 210 pair. Now I would be very reluctant to let them.

mikecd1 likes this.
  5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    They are voiced differently than the alphas. Bass gear mag did a great review and posted the frequency graph. Easy to search.

6. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    Searched high and low, but couldn't find that review. Bass Gear Mag has some issues online, but you can't search the issues and haven't found the one that has the SVT-210AV yet. If you have a link, that would be great to read.

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    older thread mentioned the review being in issue number 4

Bass Gear Magazine: All gear, all the time

flipbook for that issue isnt working currently :/
    that link will take you to page 6 of previous issues where its located

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017