1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Examples of Drops to Listen To - Ray Brown's Book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bass Momma, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Bass Momma

Bass Momma

Dec 25, 2017
    I'm working through Ray Brown's Bass Method Book with my teacher, and we're at the section on drops. Can anyone point me at some tracks of him (or anyone else) playing them? I want to spend listening time getting a good feel for how they're used.

(It's a really good book, btw...)

Thanks!!

2. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Groove Master, LeeNunn and Bass Momma like this.
  3. Bass Momma

Bass Momma

Dec 25, 2017
    DrewinHouston likes this.
  4. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    I'm not sure how many are straight from the book and how many are additional examples. I got curious a few months ago about bass-related theses (I think? not thesises) and did some digging, most have been very interesting reads.

5. Bass Momma

Bass Momma

Dec 25, 2017
    I'm making a playlist and will get back to you on that. The exercises in the book are all over 4 bars of a major 7 chord, which doesn't come up too often in the wild. The idea seems to be to apply relevant chunks (which is what my teacher does). But you know how it is, you sometimes have to dive down the rabbit hole to get to the point of realizing it wasn't nearly as complicated as you thought!

ErikP.Bass and DrewinHouston like this.
  6. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA