1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

excessive / constant buzzing feedback.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by s34s0ns, Feb 22, 2008.

1. s34s0ns

s34s0ns

Feb 14, 2008
    san jose, ca.
    hello, i just got a warwick corvette std.

...and it just won't stop buzzing .

i'm not sure if this is an amp issue, though i did try my accoustic/electric and the problem does not occur.

any advice? it's not the cable or eq (that i know of).

:help:

oh, and when i tilt the bass in different directions, i get in one spot that won't buzz, but it's upside down and unplayable.

2. s34s0ns

s34s0ns

Feb 14, 2008
    san jose, ca.
    no help? : /

3. bassnug47

bassnug47

Oct 7, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    life is good, Dead is better
    bad solder(maybe) , open it up and see if anythings wrong, maybe take to a tech to get it checked out

4. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    the kind of buzzing when you unplug the cable and touch the tip with your finger?

5. s34s0ns

s34s0ns

Feb 14, 2008
    san jose, ca.
    yes!

exactly

6. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    There's a connection problem inside the output jack on your guitar... either open it up and have a look or take it in and explain what you've been saying.

7. s34s0ns

s34s0ns

Feb 14, 2008
    san jose, ca.
    hmm, allright thanks man.

i'll update you guys.

8. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I doubt it is this if it goes away when the noise goes away when the bass faces certain directions.

9. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Don't you hate that? I had this problem with my Lakland. In my house anyway, facing East made the problem (mostly) disappear. It drove me crazy. I asked TB for help too, but got nothing other than one guy saying, "ask Lakland for help."

I resolved the problem completely, though my solution was somewhat excessive. I shielded the entire insides of my bass with copper foil and replaced the pickups and preamp.

I started with the shielding, but that didn't do it. I then replaced the preamp and that didn't do it either. I then replaced the pickups and that did it. What's really strange is that the new pickups were noisy with the old preamp, but not the new one.

If you don't know how to work on electronics, take it to someone that does.

10. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I'm just going off of the disconnected sound he was describing. Tilting the bass may also cause somethings to become connected via gravity.

11. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    True. I guess the OP didn't really indicate if it was a hard on/off kind of thing, or if the noise changes gradually as the bass is moved in various directions.

12. s34s0ns

s34s0ns

Feb 14, 2008
    san jose, ca.
    it changes and increases/decreases as i rotate it.

note, it can be 5 inches away from the amp or 20ft and it still makes the same buzzing.

13. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
  14. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Shielding would be a really good bet, though it didn't eliminate all of my problems. I didn't take pictures of every step, and the pictures that I did take were with my phone, but here are a few:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fretster

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Looks like there was shielding paint in there before you started. Still nice job with the copper.

Satisfying, isn't it? Then gobs of solder make it look all ugly again.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Nice amp.

17. s34s0ns

s34s0ns

Feb 14, 2008
    san jose, ca.
    honestly, the buzzing is louder than the bass.....

18. fretster

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Ok, then this is more serious than Shielding. You gots a problem on the insides.

Still, read all the threads on shielding and star grounding, BECAUSE, there are explanations of what happens when various wires get crossed or shorted or loose. You might have a major ground loop or a short as a result of a loose wire. You are either going to have to troubleshoot that problem yourself, (fun!) or take it in to a guitar-fixit-guy, who will take $100 from you by the time you are done.

Don't forget to try changing out the battery!

19. s34s0ns

s34s0ns

Feb 14, 2008
    san jose, ca.
    thank you guys for all the help.

now i just have to decide if i want to keep the bass or spend more money on something that i just got brand new.

something in me is against having to fix things "out of the box"

and i apologise if this ended up being in the wrong section.

20. fretster

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    If it brand new, the store should fix it for free. Run don't walk back to that store NOW!!!!!! :rollno: