1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Expanding on a Combo 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassHeadGil, Jul 12, 2012.

1. So I picked up a Combo 300 with a BW a few days ago. It's my "new" learning/ practice amp. I see that it's capable of 2 ohms to produce the full 300 watts and was wondering as i'm new to all this, what old Peavey cab should I look for that would compliment my Amp?? Would an old Peavey 1810 be to much for the 300? I'd like to keep it all of the same vintage. Thanks in advance.

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I used to use a 300 combo back in the eighties with an 8ohm 115 black widow extension cab. and it worked great I couldnt notice a volume difference between the speakers even though the extension was 8ohm, it was a great combination.

3. I'd second the 115 cab, seeing as how so many TBer's are opposed to mixing speaker sizes. But if you're not bothered by that (I'm not), I'd go with a 4 ohm 210 like a TVX, although not quite the right vintage to match. I don't think an 1810 would be too much, but I sure wouldn't want to have to move both that and the Combo 300. That's why I sold my 300, too awkward to transport at 90 pounds and a strap handle, but a great amp nonetheless.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Just sold my old Combo 300.:bawl:

I agree, anything with a 115, but at 4 ohms.

5. So then the "right" combination would be to add a 115 cab. But if it's gonna be stationary and not leave my home at all I could use an 1810 correct?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You can use whatever you want to, but a matched cab will provide the best results.

7. Thanks for the advise guys. Guess I'll have to find my self a 115 then:hyper:.