Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Expiration dates

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Go to your fridge. Look in the back, down near the bottom. Pull out that tub of sour cream- what's the expiration date? I just threw away an empty orange juice carton reading: Nov 9, 03. It smelled like paint thinner.:eek:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Not here.

For us, it starts with how we shop. We plan our meals and lunches out for a week at a time. When we go shopping, we buy what we need for the week only. Amazing how much money we have saved by just buying what we need for the week. No more of those "hmmm, this looks good" selections that get randomly thrown into the cart.

Some will argue that weekly trips to the grocery store are a waste of time, but it is also time my wife and I can hang out and stop for coffee also.

-Mike

3. Well, we once pulled out a jar of saurkraut that was of indeterminate age (but I think it moved) but other than that we try real hard to not let things spoil in the fridge.

Rock on
    Eric

4. Hey, I'm all grown up, too(legally, anyway:) ). The orange juice box came out of a mini-fridge I had left at church awhile back, & as I recall, it(the OJ)has been there & empty for the majority of the whole time. It just reminded me of a time when that was a not-too-uncommon sight.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I saw this in basstebans fridge also........

[​IMG]

-Mike

6. Yeah, I scraped that off the top of some milk. Waste not, want not.:D

7. I just washed out a month old glass of orange juice that was sitting on my dresser, it was pretty hairy and neat.

8. Week-old baby food, left half-eaten in the back of the car...
    There were the beginnings of mushrooms, I think, sprouting on top. Mmmm.

9. And people wonder why girlies squeal, "Ew! Boys are so gross!"

:rollno:

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I wish I paid attention to expiration dates. I would eat far less rancid food, if I did.

11. Hey, my wife left that stuff there. I am pretty gross, though.:)

12. You should have seen my grandmother's fridge when she was moved from the main area to the dementia/Alzheimer's area at her retirement home. :eek:

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    My grandparents had spices dating back to the early 1960s :eek: .

14. There is a historical house here that has, and I'm not joking here, a jar of Horseradish that was put down in 1890!! It's never been opened. I think the military should look into this as a form of riot control.

Rock on
    Eric

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I don't think there is much of an abundance of 116 year-old horseradish for the military to use.

16. A little bit should go a loooong way...

17. I found 40 year old eggs in an abandoned house once, they were black.

18. With the number of historical houses in my area, you'd be suprised.

Rock on
    Eric

19. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    the creatures that live in my fridge complain about the light when i open the door. but i do have to feed them every now and then.

20. Weird Al - It's living in the Fridge