extension cab help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harpguy74, Apr 20, 2017.

1. harpguy74

harpguy74

Oct 2, 2011
    quebec canada
    i have a ampeg ba 210 combo and i love it but i would love to add a extension cab to it . i wish they actually made a matched cab to go with it but they dont so. i am pretty settled on either a 2x10 or a 4x10. my amp said 450w @ 4ohms so wat wattage as far as a cab should i look for? i have founs a bunch of decent priced used amped 4x10 cabs but they all seem to be 200w. any help would be apreciated

2. I would match it with a 210 cab. Combo amps by themselves are usually 8 ohms, so when you add an 8 ohm ext. cab, the total impedance is 4 ohms. So grab yourself an 8 ohm 210 and call it a day.

Also, when adding a 2nd cabinet, amp output wattage is split between the two cabs... in your case 225 watts to each cab, 450 watts total.

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    +1
    Adding a 410 would make your combo speakers the weak link in the chain. The 410 would be getting half the watts, and the 210 speakers in your combo would be struggling to keep up. A 210 extension cab would be the logical choice. Or maybe a 15, but heaven forbid that you mix drivers. :D:)

4. harpguy74

harpguy74

Oct 2, 2011
    quebec canada
    i was thinking of getting the ampeg pf 210 cab. would this be a good match?

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Don't know, but you should buy one with a return policy and try it yourself. OR, you could simply keep the combo for bedroom practice and buy a new head/cab setup. If you need to get louder, that is the best way. The Ampeg PF series heads should work well for you and sound at least similar to the BA series.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021