extension choice for AI contra

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Anyone used anything other than the AI extension cab with a Contra? I'm looking for a more cost effective (and possibly louder alternative by going front firing)
    I know it would have to use a speakon connection..

If there isn't a better solution, anyone know where I can pick up the extension speaker at a really good price.

Thanks,
    Dave Irwin
    jazzbiker.com

2. I bet a Euphonic VL110 would do nicely.

I'm planning to get a pair of Acme Low B-1s to use with my Clarus. They'll be severely underpowered, but I won't be doing any loud gigs so I'll be fine.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I think the Euphonic Audio Wizzy 12 cabinet is a good choice; I've sold some Clarus/Whizzy combinations. It's a 4 ohm cabinet, too, efficient and complementary as far as also having a neutral, uncolored sound.

Disclaimer: I sell 'em.

4. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I tried a Bag End 210 with my contra, and that was the most amazing sound I got out of any combination that included my bass with David gage pick up, Contra and Bag End 210, what I mean by that is that none of this equipment sounded as good with anything else; only problem is that is a lot more to carry around than I would like to.:)

5. Is there any potential problem with using an 8 ohm cab in conjunction with the 4 of the Contra? Also, there is such a thing as a speakon-to-quarter inch cable, so that shouldn't limit your choices.

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Using an 8 ohm cabinet is no problem, the resulting load would still be above the 2 ohm limit. As with any situation involving two cabinets, the second cabinet's efficiency, in addition to its higher impedance, will vary its volume in comparison to the Contra.