Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

extension choice for AI contra

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Anyone used anything other than the AI extension cab with a Contra? I'm looking for a more cost effective (and possibly louder alternative by going front firing)
    I know it would have to use a speakon connection..

If there isn't a better solution, anyone know where I can pick up the extension speaker at a really good price.

Thanks,
    Dave Irwin
    jazzbiker.com

2. I bet a Euphonic VL110 would do nicely.

I'm planning to get a pair of Acme Low B-1s to use with my Clarus. They'll be severely underpowered, but I won't be doing any loud gigs so I'll be fine.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I think the Euphonic Audio Wizzy 12 cabinet is a good choice; I've sold some Clarus/Whizzy combinations. It's a 4 ohm cabinet, too, efficient and complementary as far as also having a neutral, uncolored sound.

Disclaimer: I sell 'em.

4. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I tried a Bag End 210 with my contra, and that was the most amazing sound I got out of any combination that included my bass with David gage pick up, Contra and Bag End 210, what I mean by that is that none of this equipment sounded as good with anything else; only problem is that is a lot more to carry around than I would like to.:)

5. Is there any potential problem with using an 8 ohm cab in conjunction with the 4 of the Contra? Also, there is such a thing as a speakon-to-quarter inch cable, so that shouldn't limit your choices.

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Using an 8 ohm cabinet is no problem, the resulting load would still be above the 2 ohm limit. As with any situation involving two cabinets, the second cabinet's efficiency, in addition to its higher impedance, will vary its volume in comparison to the Contra.