Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

External Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaPhotoGuy, Sep 30, 2004.

1. DaPhotoGuy

DaPhotoGuy

Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It would work (assuming that your amp can handle an 8 ohm extension cabinet), but it would up to you to decide on how "well" it would work.

Being a PA cabinet, and a low cost one at that, the low bass response will probably be missing and who knows how loud/harsh the horn is. Piezo horn tweeters tend to annoy a lot of people.

On the other hand, you may love it...which is really what counts.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Neither the sensitivity nor frequency response is adequate for bass, and Kustom is not a brand that uses high quality components; the woofer is likely not worth more than $20. I doubt if the cabinet construction is adequate for bass either. I'd pass and save up for something better.

4. DaPhotoGuy

DaPhotoGuy

Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    Thank you for the replies. So if not this cabinet, I get a different one of better quality. Will my Kustom KBA100 hooked up to another extention cabinet be that much louder than it already is? The reason I'm thinking of getting it is to have more volume on stage in small venues. Edited: I just found out when you hook up an external cabinet, it disconnects the internal 15 inch speaker. WHY would they do that? Seems like you'd want both the existing and cabinet working together.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there is a good chance that the amp can only power an 8 ohm load, that would be why the internal speaker would be disabled

want to know why they would do that?

look

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    IvanMike is right. Again, Kustom isn't a high end brand- not even middle of the road, actually- and chances are the power supply and output devices of the amp aren't capable of driving the high current load that adding a second cabinet in parallel with the internal speaker would present. Switching the internal speaker out of circuit is Kustom's way of keeping you from burning up the amp.

Getting more volume isn't merely a matter of adding more speakers, it's a matter of using speakers with better frequency response and higher sensitivity than what you already have. The way to find out what will work, aside from taking a course or two in audio engineering, is to take your amp to a music store and try it with other speakers. Going the mail order route when you don't have the requisite expertise to know what you're getting based on specs alone isn't a good idea.