Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

External endpin hardware

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ToneRanger, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Hi all,
    I need to make or buy an endpin for the solid-body EUB I'm making. I though I could just go to a drum shop and buy a floor-tom leg & bracket, but found that all drum hardware has screw-mounts from inside the drum.
    Does anyone know if there's a standard piece of hardware that will let me attach an endpin onto the back of an instrument (eg Azola)?
    I'd love hear what solutions others have found.

2. Wow I was about to post this. I have done extensive research too and can't find a great solution. Maybe we can get info on people that have different hardware and how they (or the manufacturer) installed this item.
    AHS

3. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    What was done on my EUB: we used a rack tom mount (mine sits on a stand), and just drilled holes through the rack tom mount from the opposite side. Just find some nice looking screws that match the mount (chrome, gold, black etc)

I guess you could do the same and stick the floor tom leg through a rack tom mount.

4. I emailed the Azolas to see if they would sell me their bracket, or tell me where it was sourced. Of course they should have just said "Buy one of our basses" but instead I got a polite reply. Not a solution, but at least I now know there's no generic part waiting on a hardware store shelf....

"Sorry to disappoint you, but the endpin assembly and bout mechanism aren't for sale as stand-alone items. The endpin block is a cast aluminum piece that Steve designed, to which he does all the machining himself and then we have the parts powdercoated for durability. It's not something that would be cost-effective to sell separately. And it really is a proprietary part. The bout is something that works well with our basses and their balance points, but you'd be better off designing something specifically suited to your own instrument. It may take some trial & error, but you'll work out something that's comfortable for yourself.

Good luck with your project. I apologize that we can't help.

Sincerely,
    Jill
    www.azola.com "

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN