1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

External harddrive

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by labgnat, Oct 14, 2006.

1. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    My laptop is getting close to having a full harddrive. I'm looking to get anywhere from a 100 to 200 GB of external hard drive. I would use it as a back up. i'm scared of the external hard drive some way or another failing, and losing a lot of stuff that i'd probably delete off my laptop as soon as i back it up.

so i'm wondering what are the best brands for hard drive, and least likely to f up?

2. I've had good luck with the Maxtor OneTouch series. YMMV

I have a few Western Digital and Seagate too and haven't had any problems. The Maxtors go back a few years and AFAIK, they're still fine.

- Dave

3. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    If you are that nervous about back-up, just burn to DVD every few weeks.

I'm not that paranoid, and have had great luck with 2 different 100 gig Fantom Drives, especially at only $90-$100 delivered.

4. Ive got the 250 gig Western Digital, and its been great. Picked it up from Best Buy for about 120. It has both Firewire and USB interfaces, which is pretty sweet.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I bought an external off of a friend for 20 bucks. It's an 80 gig western digital.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You could also get a HDD and Enclosure, although these days the price difference isn't too much between DIY and just the external.

7. This works well if you happen to have a extra harddrive layin around, that what my friend did and has had no problems with it.

8. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I have two external hard drives, a 120 GB backup drive for my laptop and a 250 GB backup drive for my iMac. I pretty much use them only for backing up data so that it exists in two places. I don't understand why you'd be concerned about having the data on an external drive as opposed to the internal laptop drive. Right now you only have the data in one place anyway, so if you put some of the data onto the external and then delete it off of the laptop hard drive then you'll still only have it in one place, so you're pretty much in the same situation (though I guess if one drive crashes you'd still have some of your files). That's why I having full images of my hard drives on my backups so that if something does happen (again) then I'll be able to be back up and running as quickly as possible. I had my laptops hard drive crash about a year ago and since I had everything on the external it didn't take very long after purchasing a new drive to get the laptop up and running.

9. Yeah, having all of your stuff on a different drive than the OS really helps alot. I recently reformatted my HD, and had very little to do to get it back to normal.

10. I have one of those right next next to my monitor right now, it has several hundred g's of music

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    My two choices were going to be Western Digital and Seagate. I found the WD on sale at Best Buy and it's worked great. While doing research, I found a lot of negative comments about Maxtor drives, so I personally stayed away. Do some research and see what best suits your needs.

12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's a LOT of music. :)

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    its going to sound stupid. but buy two.

one as your main external for all the time use.

one as your back up.

you'll be glad you did, in the case your main one breaks.

14. everyone i know who has had a western digital has had it fail. none of us has had a problem with seagate or maxtor so thats what were sticking to now. i just bought a 500 gig maxtor and an enclosore at frys for around 200 bucks.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021