Extra long scale question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by erang, Aug 19, 2013.

1. erang

erang

Aug 19, 2012
    Hi
    my bass is 36" with strings through body hipshot bridge
    the first set i'v used on it was DR red devils, it was little short and i couldnt pass the string through the body , just put them on the regular way.

i can say as a long time DR user, i didnt like those string so much, the sound was week compering to other DR and they felt like rubber, also the red coating got off very quickly
    and i broke the B string, never happened before

i need recommendations on extra long scale strings, what about the DR long necks?

any other good strings?

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The obvious answer is to not string through body. If DR's fit, then 38" of winding is what you need..unless the outer wrap of the B string wound around the post and caused it to break. You want to avoid the outer wrap going around the post.

Ken Smith's are 40" to the taper if you need something longer.

Best thing though might be to measure and see exactly how long you need. Make a mark on your existing string right past the nut then take it off and measure from that mark to the inside of the ball end. This is the minumun winding length you need, then go here and see which strings fit:

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Bass-String-Lengths-by-Manufacturer_ep_47-1.html

4. erang

erang

Aug 19, 2012
    The strings I used was regular long scale, but looks like only DR makes them long enough, other brands was to short the winding ended on the first fret.. The string break at the saddle so I don't think its related to the length thing.. I'm going to try the DR long necks, looks like this is what I need , I do want the string through body, thanks

5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Take a string that does fit, and measure it from the ball end to the point it crosses the nut. Then contact Jason to see what is available.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
  7. I've had trouble finding extra long scale round wounds that I like, for now I'm using D'addario but they don't seem to last very long. My search continues.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    D'Addario are 38" extra long. There are a ton of 38" options out there.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've never used the LongNecks, but I understand that they have extra long tapers at the bridge so you can string through body. So, that may indeed be what you need.

Jason at www.bassstringsonline.com can give you more info, and let you know exactly how long the tapers are to see if they'll fit your bridge.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Long Necks are only 38" though... So they might not be long enough depending on your specific instrument.

11. I just can't find any that I like, I used to exclusively use EB Power Slinkies but sine I got my new bass they aren't long enough and I've not been able to find an extra long string that I like as much.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021