1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extreme Metal with audible bass!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by metalstorm, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hey,

Here is a video of my band Urheimat playing at our cd release party. The camera was right in front of my bass amp so the bass is very noticeable. Ken Smith 6 string played through a Markbass LMK.

Mike

2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    and it's recorded live! The CD tracks must be pretty crisp. That or the guy with the camera is right infront of the bass amp.

3. Yeah, the camera was right in front of my amp.

4. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    oh damn!that was you. guess i should actually read the post before clicking links. Youtube links get me everytime. nice playing!

5. Good playing, but I'm going to be honest, I don't really think that the tone worked. Yeah, it cut through like crazy, but in music like this, that's not necessarily what you want. When I hear heavy music, the thing that makes it heavy is how the bass SITS in the mix, not how much it cuts through. In fact, most of the heavy bands that have REALLY audible bass aren't that heavy at all, because the bass is right in the guitar's frequency range, and usually the guitar has more low end than the bass. When the bass isn't actually making the mix any thicker, the music looses the groove, and it looses its power.

It seems like too many of us (Especially on the heavy side of things) are too preoccupied with being heard that we misplace our focus; we try to stroke our own egos rather than make the song better. I'm as guilty of it as anyone.

Just my $.02, and I certainly meant no disrespect. You're a better player than me, no question.

6. It could just be that the camera was so much closer to the bass amp. I can barely hear most of the band.

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    no offense, but, how do you pronounce your band name? :confused:

8. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    oh, and uh, GAAAHHHH! I HATE BRIDGE PICKUPS!!!!

9. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's much less prominent on the clips on MySpace, and gets a little lost under all those blast beats and wallawallawallawalla guitar riffs

The pinnacle of bridge pickup metal tone for me is Johanne deFarfalla on Opeth's "Morningrise". Rumour has it that his tone & style were so prominent that it pretty much got him sacked, as Akerfeldt wanted a more background bass sound (it's stated that it was for personal reasons).

c-

10. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    That's a shame. To bid you farewell was a nice track. Morning rise was a good album. Oh well, Mendez is a great bassist as well.

11. haha are you guys arsis fans?

12. Wow, lots of replies.
    The name is pronounced Ur as in Urn, High, mat.

Thats cool if you guys don't dig the tone. If I had a ton of low end it would muddy everything up so my tone does sit well in the mix rather than obscuring everything. Also the camera wasn't so you don't actually hear most of the low end. There is really no issue of ego... It works for me and there is no chance I will get fired anytime soon.

13. bass_freq

bass_freq

Oct 24, 2008
    damn, you got some pretty nice technique, you think you hear every metal band in calgary, then you find out how many you don't know. I've seen your band name on some metal posters but don't think I've come out to a show. I use to play bass for Enemyus, playing for Maladdicted now, my technique isn't as good as yours yet, but its getting there, maybe I can come out and check out a show and talk bass with ya

14. Hey, I've heard of your bands, although i have never seen them. Thanks for the compliment. Next time we play you are very welcome to come down.

Mike