1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available F Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by crossover, Feb 20, 2021.

1. crossover

crossover Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    NY
    Price:
    $4700
    Strings:
    United States
    No Longer available.

Last edited: May 8, 2021 at 11:57 AM
  2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    This color is amazing.

3. mbluto

mbluto Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Is this the same bass sold by Donovan at fretspot?

4. crossover

Mar 1, 2010
    NY
    Yes, it's the same one; bought it from new.

mbluto likes this.
  5. mbluto

mbluto Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Very sweet... Love this bass!!! Putting things together to make this work... Great video of this bass:

Fred312b likes this.
  6. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

BASSPLAYERS4HIM Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    How comfortable is a 10.4 lbs like this in your opinion?

Juzh likes this.
  7. Juzh

Juzh

Jan 29, 2016
    I guess I can answer that... having a 10.4lbs F.
    It’s alright, it’s not light but it balances very well so totally fine with a good strap.

I know some believe that wood doesn’t impact the sound, but if you can actually hear the difference (I can): heavier Fbass ( sound better to me. I consistently find them punchier with a more focused bottom. 10.4lbs would be a sweet spot for me. If I wasn’t in Europe you wouldn’t even had time to ask the question: I would have bought it already :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    31HZ, crossover and BASSPLAYERS4HIM like this.
  8. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    I share your opinion too, heavier woods, are more rounded
    well-balanced in tonality, specially this northern body Ash he uses for this model, very exceptional!

If I had the funds, I would be playing it.!

I am just curious, for the seller, why getting rid of it so soon....

Bass players friends, buy this bass before it's gone!
    BTW, Implacable great price!

Juzh and crossover like this.
  9. crossover

Mar 1, 2010
    NY
    Agreed on both points. The extended upper horn places the top strap button in a more favorable position for better balance/weight distribution. A well made/padded (I use a 3.5" wide or greater) strap makes a long set a breeze.

The dense Northern Ash that F Bass uses is becoming scarce; the fact that they continue to build them using more (in spite of weight concerns) furthers what @Juzh and I hear. The Furlanettos of course agree.

31HZ, Juzh and BASSPLAYERS4HIM like this.
  10. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    Let me ask you, Would there be a Weight and Tone difference if this model would be built with a Swamp Ash?

11. crossover

Mar 1, 2010
    NY
    Re. Weight - Yes, I believe so; Tone - Likely, but I couldn't accurately say without a direct comparison.
    My comments are solely referring to a BN Series F Bass... while there are plenty of others that also matter, I have experienced brands that these factors had far less of an impact.

12. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    Got it , thanks for the info.

crossover likes this.
  13. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    One last question, are the wood knobs furnished or finished with High gloss or polyurethane, I can't tell from the picture?

14. crossover

Mar 1, 2010
    NY
    Satin (likely catalyzed-poly) finish on the knobs. Really detailed grain (lighter Ebony) over any others I've owned/seen.

BASSPLAYERS4HIM likes this.
  15. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

I can add that an Fbass balances and hangs on a strap better than any other instrument I've played, with the exception of a Muckelroy (not meant to be a plug, just a reference point) -- the long upper horn that shifts the instrument to my right works very well for how I like to position the bass.

Also, a near-perfect balancing and positioning will offset a pound or so in weight for me, although I understand that the weight by itself can pose particular challenges to others that good balance can't offset.

crossover, Juzh and BASSPLAYERS4HIM like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021