1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Facebook Phone?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rarbass, Sep 23, 2010.

1. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...h-inq-on-smartphones-that-at-t-may-carry.html

People who have seen my posts around here know I despise Facebook with a passion. I think that, for some reason, they aim to try to "take over the internet". Now they need to cut into mobile phones?

What sickens me is that all the Facebook freaks out there will buy into this. If they make a decent phone, then fine, but it will obviously be so intertwined with Facebook that I will never consider it.
    Why is everyone jumping on the smartphone wagon these days? It seems like everyone wants to do what Apple does.

Add the Facebook Movie to this, and Facebook is going to eventually take over the world!

2. No it's not. Eventually someone will come along with something different, and everyone will move to that. Remember Myspace? Mywhat? Yeah...

3. Why do you care so much what Facebook 'freaks' buy? Here's a tip: don't care, it'll improve your quality of life drastically.

4. I see facebook going more the way of Google, not Myspace. Google themselves are scared of the potential of Facebook.

lowsound

5. Potential is the key word. I see Facebook becoming less and less of a big thing. But it could go either way. After all, they have enough funding...

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Luckily, you don't have to get it.

7. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I don't think Myspace was QUITE as big.
    I do see it going in the direction of Google myself. I honestly believe, if they do this right (or even if they don't), they will be competition for Google and Apple in the smartphone market. Which is unfortunate because Facebook really is stupid.

8. What is so stupid about it? I don't personally use it, but I wouldn't say it was outright stupid. What makes something like TB any less stupid?

9. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Privacy is respected far more on TB.

10. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    It's not so much facebook itself that's stupid, but the way people use it. I have one because there are some people with whom it's my only means of communication, and every time I log on, there's a sea of status updates telling me about every last detail of my acquaintances' (a lot of them aren't even friends, just people who I may or may not have spoken with and have seen before who decided to add me) lives that I honestly don't care about, as well as endless vaguebooking (the act of writing an intentionally vague status update for the purpose of getting attention, usually followed by "I don't want to talk about it" when prompted for explanation.)

11. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    This!! All of it!!

Facebook DOES have potential to be useful (although, still unnecessary, as things like email and IM and Skype exist for this already). It's just how people use it, as described above.
    For those who say "how would you know?", I just have seen how pointlessly people post updates about their lives that nobody could possibly care about when I look at other people browsing Facebook, yet people actually DO pretend to care. And as for vaguebooking, well this happens on Windows Live Messenger in people's personal messages and it's just like "why post it in there if you don't want to talk about it?"
    Everyone tries to gain everyone's attention, and that's why Facebook is stupid.

12. That to me just says that some people are stupid, not Facebook. I get where you are coming from though.

It is like people who bag Twitter all the time. Twitter is not stupid. Potentially it is a great tool. It is all the white-noise "I'm making a sandwich", "I'm eating a sandwich", "That was a good sandwich" type stuff that makes it seem totally pointless.

13. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Right--it's not Facebook that's stupid, it's just an overwhelming population of stupid people that make Facebook SEEM stupid.

14. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Good for me I don't have a facebook account

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I've found Facebook to be useful for hosting screen shots etc I use to illustrate points in TalkBass posts.

Said pic files are too large to be TB attachments, and would likely be deleted from typical image hosting sites over time.

16. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    What is this "face book"?

17. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Exactly. I'm also one of those people who insult Twitter, but I know it could be useful for following celebrities (for curiosity sake and for entertainment, not for the life-or-death stalking that some fans do AKA Jonas Brothers/Justin Bieber fans)

I even have a Twitter account, but that's just to follow Conan's tweets. I've never made a tweet of my own, and I don't plan on it. Anyone who could care about what I'm doing in my daily life is either my family and they already know about it, or they have some serious problems with their own lives in that they have nothing better to do.

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Oh no! Facebook is on the way to doing part of what Google does already!

:bag:

19. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
  20. FWIW you can filter content that you see in your feed. I haven't tried it, but one of these days I will, when I get tired of all of it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021