Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fafner Vavle..??..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZenBass, Mar 23, 2004.

1. The Valve in my fafner appears to have gone due to a power surge in a studio that took the plug and head's fuses..replaced them and the vavle doesnt light up and its runing in solid state and sound ...awful :(...

Need to replace them...

I know there are 12AX7's

Has anyone replaced there,s and which company did u use...was thinkin of using the Groove Tude's Equiv...

Any thoughts

Thanks

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm almost positive EBS uses Sovtek. You could use a Groove-Tubes "S" which should be very similar.

3. The limited edition Fafner "gold" comes stock with a Groove Tube. It's probably the "S" version mentioned... I couldn't find any further detail.

4. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    I jut had the 12AX7 replaced in my SWR Studio 220. I took it to an old radio shop with a couple old radio guys with a big pile of old radios. He squinted at my tube, I told him what it was, he kinda looks at me funny and says "I can see that. I'm looking for the "Made in China". He says, " You don't want those", and offers the choice of an RCA or a Seimens. Tells me the Seimens is probably the better tube, but the test specs on the RCA are nicely above spec. Then he squints at me some more and says "Never buy a tube made in China"

I took the RCA. It is an American amp, after all.

5. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    oddio,
    what do you mean by the fafner gold model?

6. "gold model" is a new and as they say upgraded model with better tubes and limited series. i would guess that there is a perhaps new model coming soon?

7. The gold model is a "special edition" Fafner with gold-plated hardware instead of chrome and a Groove Tube instead of the stock 12AX7. I couldn't spot any other differences or upgrades from the "blue stripe" model. It has been in the EBS lineup for almost a year now.

8. A "Groove Tube" could be anything but chances are it would be either Chinese, Russian, or Yugosalvian. I would try and find an NOS tube to go in there (US or European) although a Tesla might not be too bad as well.