1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Failing at Failing.

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by eerbrev, Apr 23, 2010.

1. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    Well, not quite yet - I haven't started to learn it.

which brings me to my question. To those of you who have learned this piece, or any other piece that involves speaking an playing, what method did you use to bring the piece together? did you learn the spoken word part first, or the bass part first? Or did you learn them both at once, slowly? Or did you just throw down your bass in disgust ;) ?

Thanks for the info,

Alex

2. I had to break it down into sections to get the coordination to play it. I was lucky enough to see Bert Turetsky perform it in a master Class and get some playing tips from him.

3. Jordan M

Jordan M

May 10, 2009
    Double negative- don't worry, you're doing alright! :D

4. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    Reedo,

What kind of sections are we talking here? It'd be easy at the beginning, because the music itself is pretty piece-y, but as you move on, how do you cut it up?

Thanks,

Alex

5. It is hard for me to explain via the internet. Have you gotten any assistance from your teacher?

6. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    I'm in between semesters at this point, and I'm likely going to a different school next year (long story), so I'm in between teachers at the moment. I'm really just kind of looking to get a leg up on this piece for when I get back to my home town and start having lessons with another teacher I've had lessons with in the past.

7. Maybe breaking down like score analysis could help you. Sections, subsections, etc.

8. Check this out.. Gary Karr Succeeding at failing...:smug:

9. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    Step one is to get the piece. Then learn the notes and try to add the words to it. Eventually it will be easy to talk and play.

10. I have witnessed Nancy Merriam perform this piece twice in the same day, she is phenomenal. I say learn the music and then add the words.

Have you ever tried to sightread 2 different clefs on piano, like play left hand bass clef, and alto with the right hand? Or play bass clef and sing the alto? It may sound like something only a music notation program can play, but I'm a mediocre student, and I'm actually just starting to remotely get the hang of what I said in the second paragraph, and even occasionally play in time.

11. I've never tried "Failing". I've seen Ed Barker and David Murray perform it, and I know it is an amazing effort. I think I'll get the music.

I've been learning "BB Wolf", along the same lines. What I do is play it all the way through at least twice a day. I will present it in a local recital in October. The more you bang away at something, the easier it gets...