Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fair price for a used Vector 5 string EUB (UK)

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by subaudio, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Hi Guys, could any one help with this, A local shop is selling one of these and I'd like to know what they go for as the shop is selling for £1700 an it seems like a lot for a used bass, It looks between 5 - 10 years old and is not one of thier current range from the web site, I know it's a bit vague but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If it's the Bass Cellar.....don't do it!!! ;)

3. Do you know something I dont? :)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Well I know the Bass Cellar are very poor at customer service and know nothing about upright basses!! :meh:

5. They seem cool to me, I bought a G+L from them and have had repair work done on other slabs and they were very good, fair point about uprights though.

The Vector sounds great but feels very "stiff" to play maybe it's the strings, they feel really rigid.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Go to the Bass Centre, near Liverpool St. Station and try some NS EUBs for comparison!

7. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I'd guess that the bass is stiff because someone has installed heavy orchestral *STARK* strings on it. Lord knows how old they are, and what kind of abuse or non-use the have endured. I use mix 'n match sets on my EUB's ( solo gauge d + g, regular e + a) this balances things nicely for me. It really depends on the individual bass, and the player though.

If the Vector feels good and balances well, try offering less $ for it. Chances are that they will come down to earth on the price, if you are serious. Comparing it with the Steinberger would be a good idea as well. (I still haven't got my hands on one of those!)

Have fun!

8. MRPC, thanks for that, I was thinking it must be the strings and I've heard there are some really stiff string types out there, do you know how much this affects the sound?

It's the best sounding bass Ive tried but very hard work to play, that neck is pretty big with the five stiff strings, my gut says the price is over the odds.

I will go back and try it again, I will try the NS again too, as for portability its exactly what I want and very easy on the hands (and eye) , my only problem is my main bass is fretless and I'm not sure I'm going to get a radically (£2000 worth)different tone with NS (ducks for cover) :)

9. Bruce Lindfield

From my experience the Bass Cellar are always over-priced (probably because they are in a prime location close to Oxford St.) and I wouldn't buy anything from them on principle! But an EUB even more so!

I've had my NS CR5 for about 2 years now and it has a very different sound to when I first bought it - but I still remember how it was always hugely different to fretless BG - mostly down to the 42" scale length.

But there are a few other things to bear in mind. So - when I was thinking of buying I asked the Bass Centre to get me a few examples to try and they moved some for me from Manchester - so I had 3 or 4 differnet ones to try and I spent a morning there and was convinced, walking out with one under my arm! :)

Firstly what I noticed was that the piezos sounded much less like BG than the magnetic pickups - therefore I bought one with piezos only, as I also have a couple of BGs anyway.

Secondly, I noticed that the basses with higher action - bridge raised higher - sounded more like DB than BG - easy to do with a couple of screws provided!

Thirdly - I have noticed that technique is a huge factor on sound - so when I was playing it like BG it sounded like a big BG, albeit with more
    fundamental in the tone. But when I tried to play it like DB the more I did this, the less it sounded like BG - so really pulling across the strings, using the sides of your fingers , putting some meat into it - as well as using open strings more etc etc All these things make a big difference to the sound!

Finally something which may help you - so I got some good advice on here about strings and put Pirastro Orchestral strings on, which sound so much more like DB, especially on the G string - but don't affect playability at all and don't feel stiff or hard to play....?

10. Bruce Lindfield

As a PS to what I've said above - the two may be more related than you think!

So - maybe it is because you can't use your BG technique and have to play differently, that it sounds less like BG to you...?

Whereas with an easy-to-play EUB, like the NS - you are using your BG technique and therefore getting BG-like sounds!! :meh:

So - try the NS again with piezos only, raise the bridge and approach it like DB !!

11. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Strings and action height make a big difference in the way it will sound, just because of the way you will be inspired to touch the instrument. Ergonomics have everything to to with the sound you achieve.

AHHH....The thrill of the chase for a new instrument!

Good luck.

12. Much food for thought there guys, many thanks.

p.s. Bruce I agree about the bass cellar, I was talking about the Bass Gallery :)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Doh!! :rollno:

That's a whole different kettle of fish!! ;)

The Gallery are great and Martin Peterson knows his stuff!! :)

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    So what do you guys think of the Vektor bass ?

15. Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the link I couldn’t find any, it's definitely a German Vektor (I didn’t realise there were two brands), the scroll is instantly recognisable, no wonder I couldn’t ID it amongst the Canadian EUB's :)

I tried it again on Saturday and it sounds great, a bit much for my fretless bass hands at the moment though.

Heres a photo from the shops site

http://www.thebassgallery.com/vektor5upright.html

16. Bruce Lindfield

Can't see the appeal ...not that different to an NS bass, which is easy to play, sounds great and which you can get new for about that price...:confused:

17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    The only thing I have read on this was in a EUB shoot-out in BP [I think the guy from Phish was on the cover]did years ago; from what I remember the Vector [4] beat all the other EUBs [including the NS] on arco and supposedly had the most uprighty sound at the time, granted all basses tested had stock strings on them.

18. Bruce Lindfield

But is that about the Canadian Vector or the German Vektor specified in this case...? :meh:

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    German

20. Bruce Lindfield

Well, you spelt it wrong then!! :D