FAKE or real 1969 Gibson EB0 EBO? Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zildjian106, May 25, 2012.

1. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Looks legit to me. I always thought the Gibsons with the slotted headstocks had that exact logo.

3. see if the serial number at least matches up w/that era/model, it's a start, anyway....

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Looks completely real to me.

5. 66Atlas

66Atlas

May 19, 2012
    Fake. Should be an inlay not a sticker. Pickguard is wrong but ccould have been changed (looks a melody maker guard maybe). Lastly, the 3 point bridge didnt appear until after the slotted headstock was gone, '73 IIRC.

Could be it's real but has been refined/modded but I personally wouldnt risk it.

6. Zildjian106 // If it's sticker, it's not real decal. As 66Atlas said, refined or modded ?.
    check this links,
    http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/1969gibsonEB0.php
    http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/1970gibsonEB0.php
    http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/1972gibsonEB0.php

and the wires doesn't look gibson's. They usually used black shrinktube to hide wires.
    This is 65 EB0 cavity inside (from Ebay listing)
    $(KGrHqV,!jME66MHip4uBO38Q8cjmg~~60_3.jpg

and here's my 1972 EB-0L
    Head pic
    IMG_2680.jpg

Head Logo
    IMG_2681.jpg

Body
    IMG_2666.jpg

Pots
    IMG_2705.jpg

but I recommend you to show someone specialized on gibson in local.

7. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    Too many things were fishy with the bass, why would anyone take the shielding and wiring covers out of the cavity, it just does not make sense to me...

The guy got this at an estate sale under some bed. The case looked just like the original with the purple interior, he was told that this was owned by Chubby Checkers bassist.

8. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    Also the truss rod cover was fitted with a slightly shorter one that just said gibson, and a screw was placed a half an inch above it where the "original" hole was left.

I thought it was real and he just put on a custom pick guard and truss rod cover for looks, but the cavity wiring and headstock makes it fishy. Could be completely refinished too as it was more of a mocha color, this is plausible if the inlay is not imbedded into the wood, if it is simply glued on maybe it was lost along the years.

Thanks for the responses

9. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    The body and neck look original, but it is hard to know about anything else. The pickguard and bridge certainly are not original--there will be post holes for the original 2-point bridge visible under the cover if it is a genuine Gibson. The bridge cover itself looks like the correct style, but it also looks like un-chromed brass and is upside down. Impossible to know from pics if pickup is original, likewise the pots. My guess is that someone bought a stripped body and revived it.

Value will depend partly on whether it is the original pickup or not--it could just be from a Chinese Epiphone. Also, if seller is not acknowledging any non-original parts, then not someone to be trusted too much.

10. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    The seller truly did not know much about the instrument. So its not his fault. I informed him that the pick guard and truss rod cover were not original, which he was unaware of. Its a mystery thats for sure. Whoever he obtained the bass from told him again that it was a real gibson, after I told him I was unsure if it was a Gibson or not.

11. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    can you play it. nothing sounds like a original mudbucker. epi ones don't sound close

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If that's not a real Gibson, someone went to a LOT of trouble to counterfeit a bass that isn't worth that much money to begin with. Why would someone go to the great effort to duplicate a Gibson serial number and "Made in USA" on the back of the headstock, and then overlook easy stuff like the wiring and the truss rod cover?

It's a real Gibson that's been battered around through the years. It's not collectible, and if Chubby Checker's bass player owned that, I'm a monkey's uncle.

13. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Thank God...

14. I agree but want to try epiphone EB's, kekek.

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, it's definitely a real EB0. i think that the body has been refinned (& logo replaced with a sticker) and of course the pickguard isn't stock. IME, the serial numbers in that era are not the best way to determine it's year, so think that it could be anywhere from a late '69-71. the three point bridge debuted in late '73 so the bridge isn't stock either.

16. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I had a 69 EBO and it sure looked the same as those pics. It may not be all original but that doesn't say it not a real 69 it just changes the value of it as a vintage bass.

I'm with smcd. That's a lot of trouble to go through and if your gonna fake it then least get it correct. I never liked mine. That big old "mudbucker" had some power to it but damn it was boomy. I used it for a bit, sold it, and went back to my Jazz Bass.

17. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
  18. Looks awesome either way![​IMG]

19. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
  20. jazzgalore

jazzgalore

Jan 1, 2013
    where's the cable go? And, a 69 with that bridge?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021