1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Family pics... Brubaker content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Or "My, how times flies":D

Grouptworows.

Groupfull.

2. do want

3. Body

Body

Aug 3, 2008
    Wisconsin, USA
    Nice basses man, but get rid of those ramps to show off those awesome bodies :) Especially the red fire-ish looking one. Looks beautiful :p

4. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Purdy. I think your most recent acquisitions are my favorite out of the group, though they're all beautiful.

Any soundclips available of these?

5. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    ummm.... you using all of those right now?? :smug:

gorgeous basses, gorgeous collection.

:bassist::bassist:

6. what's your first one?

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Thanks, guys:D. To the questions:

Ramps? Can't get rid of them, I gig with the basses and it's definitely a plus.

First one was the blue green burst doublecut five. Still an amazing bass. Got it around 2001-02.

Sorry, no clips.

Yep, I use them all. That's why I have them.
    :cool:

8. Damn those are nice. Need a 4 stringer though. ;)

9. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    Man those are nice.

10. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry

:spit:

Booo-urns! Booooo-urns!!!
    smithers.

:p

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I had one and it was great... but I mainly play fives and sixes so I let it go.

I ordered four of the basses pictured and the rest were either picked up used or bought new as spec instruments.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

They've all been out in the last couple of months, either on gigs or just hanging out with friends and jamming.
    :D

13. Which one is your favorite and/or which one is your main gigger?

14. You let your friends touch those beauties?

15. The reddish fretless 6-string, front and center, has the most well-proportioned body shape I've ever seen on a singlecut.

16. I want the purple one.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

All the time... that's part of the fun in having stuff like this.

I stopped by GC yesterday looking for some compact guitar stands and while there I checked out the little Minimark combo with the bass I had in the car with me. It sounded very nice, especially for the size. Anyway, there was a young kid (maybe around 12) and his mom there looking at basses. He had walked by a couple of times so I said hi. We proceeded to have a pretty good conversation about bass, I asked him about what he liked, goals, etc. and I gave him some advice on what would help him get where he wanted to go. He and his mom had questions about my music experiences. Very nice kid. Then I asked him if he wanted to check out my bass.

:eek:

The look on his face was priceless. It was easy to see he was being super careful with it but he was having fun. The bass I handed him was my new fretless six.

These are instruments not keepsakes. We (my friends and I) get together at Atomic and let anyone who wants to check whatever basses we bring out. Sometimes I have to convince people it's okay to touch my Fodera Contrabass or Eshenbaugh or whatever. They're basses... enjoy them. I do.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I honestly don't have a favorite. Sometimes I favor a bass and when I get around to playing another one I wonder why I waited so long.

I just got the Buckeye Burl five and on the very first gig I took it on I didn't even get around to playing it... I soundchecked with the fretless six and couldn't put it down:D. I did use the Buckeye on the very next gig a couple of nights later. Those two will be in heavy rotation becuase they're the newest.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Most people who've played it say the same thing. I actually considered selling it to raise funds for the Buckeye 5 but came to my senses when I plugged it in. Time to sell something else.

20. I always feel really awkward when holding someone's bass other than mine... But it is so hard to resist sometimes.. :bassist:

Lucky kid:p