Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fans of Keith Horne

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sometypeofplay, Apr 18, 2005.

1. I just heard the first single off the Hot Apple Pie album. You can check it out at the Dreamworks website. Very cool stuff. The harmonies are killer. Keith is playing a lot of instruments on this one. Sounds a lot like late '70's early '80's country-rock with modern production.

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    There was a video of some of his playing posted here a while ago. Very impressive stuff. Great player.

3. Watching Keith, Jimmy Haslip, and Wayman Tisdale play makes my head hurt! Keith is a monster though!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Hillbillies" has been getting airplay on CMT for about a month now.

One day, I was off, surfin' around...heard "Hillbillies" & thought, "Did CMT change their format"?
    Horne's bass part is a funky, muted groove over 3 chords(E-A-B). There's a 4-bar 'solo' at the end, too. I hoping we cover it.
    The Hot Apple Pie album is due out in May/June...I can't recall the exact link, DW, I just Google'd it "Hot Apple Pie". I think one of the guitarists is kin to Seals(of Seals & CRofts).

Another thing I like-
    The band IS playing their own stuff on the record.
    We once had this local New Country band that had an offer...the catch? Nashville did NOT want to use the musicinas in the band. Nevermind that the keyboardist/violinist & the guitarist were top-notch players in their own right(i.e IMO, they are as good as anyone outta Nashville). The band stuck to their principles & said "No thanks".

Another New Country act makin' a little noiz is Cowboy Troy..."Playin' Chicken With The Train". I heard/saw that one on CMT, too. HICK-HOP!
    ;)

5. this one ?

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There was a time one could see Horne up close & personal in Va. Beach bars...literally 3 feet away.

Anyway, there's this time his Fusion band(Secrets) opened for Miles Davis at the Richmond Mosque. One of Horne's signature pieces was a tune called "Bassball"...Horne's solo spot was literally a 10+ minute bass concerto.
    So, Miles comes on & Darryll Jones does his solo...the whole crowd is chanting "Bassball! Bassball! Bassball!"
    ...that hadda be embarrassing for Jones.

7. That intro he plays on that Trisha Yearwood song is friggin' sick!

At one time there was a link to "Bassballs" out there somewhere. I have no idea where that would be now.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have "Bassball" &, for that matter, the entire album on cassette.
    A 2nd Secrets' album, Nine Sharp, was on cd & cassette.
    The band sold 'em at their shows.

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Thats the Nashville machine workin'.
    I play with a female country singer who just finshed her second record in Nashville-with studio cats, not the touring band.
    We did track some stuff here in Detroit that may make it onto her disc tho....

And another thing....I thought it was funny as hell when they thought Tim McGraw was "ground breaking" when he used his road band on his last record.
    Ground breaking........funny stuff! :D

11. Yeah, the first time I heard about the whole Nashville studio scene I was working for a country singer out of Tulsa. It amazed me that bands hired studio guys to play their parts on their albums. The whole Tim Mcgraw/Dancehall Doctors thing blew my mind. Jazz/rock/blues/bluegrass/funk/whatever have always played their own recorded music from the beginning, I wonder why not coutry?

12. From The Hot Apple Pie website: www.hotapplepie.net

Virginia native Keith Horne was a guitarist from the age of 6. After winning a number of guitar-picking contests in his home state, he formed a jazz band that backed Ramsey Lewis on the BET cable channel. He'd grown up with The Wooten Brothers, famed for their work in Bela Fleck and The Flecktones. They talked him into relocating to Nashville and let him room with them during his first six months in town.

"When I moved to town, you could see me play a bluegrass gig on a Tuesday, a jazz gig with the Wootens on Thursday and in a honky-tonk band on Lower Broadway on the weekend. It was all the same guy."
    -------------------------------------------------------

I wish I could have grown up with with the Wooten brothers......
    :crying: