1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fantasy idea, dont hate

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xander8280, Jan 4, 2012.

1. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Using a custom can, a 2x18. Stereo cabinet use with a head to achieve 2ohms. And here's where this gets crazy, I imagined Hartke 18's, with the aluminum, would that be sick or what???

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, not sure how sick it would be as much as silly big and heavy if the cabs were appropriately sized for 18's. Aside from the pure fantasy of it, what would you be trying to accomplish with such a rig ? 18's are not really required/needed for any particular sound level reproduction these days. With the right box and driver design, and amplifier power to drive it, you can get down to just about any freq level you want. 18's are kind of an anachronism.

no hate, just curious

3. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    I was just thinking of pure surface area, the feeling when you change from using 10's to a 15 or even an 18. It would be just a big brutal cab

4. You want fantasy? How about a pair of old EV 30" theater subs?

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ha, yeah!

"BOOM, BOOM, BOOM,...(silence)"

6. They'd hit the 'brown note' :D

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The guy who owns this rig would probably dig it:

[​IMG]

I don't think Larry makes an 18", does he?

8. Just did some back of the napkin math. A 218 would have roughly 510 in^2 of cone area, an 810 has about 630.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Driver cone area (Sd) is only a two dimensional measurement. What limits low frequency output is a three dimensional measurement, displacement (Vd). Affordable drivers with the highest Vd aren't eighteens, they're fifteens.
    Aluminum cones are a great marketing tool, because they have a unique look, and looks sell. But aluminum cones don't work any better than pulp.

10. I agree and understand, I was addressing his second post.