1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fantoni Mute? Another mute besides the "Ultra" rubber one?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by James Gibson, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Hello all!

I've recently moved into a new apartment with low ceilings and upstairs neighbors. One works a desk job during the day, the other is a police officer who works nights, so someone is usually sleeping at all hours of most days. Most of you already know where this is going...

Talkbasser Eric Swanson mentioned what seems to be a pretty effective mute in this thread. The "Ultra" rubber mute I have and copious amounts of foam in the f-holes/bridge feet/everywhere else don't seem to be helping me, so I figured this mute in conjunction with the foam might help me. Some detective work between the various bass forums on the Internet leads me to believe the mute Eric mentioned comes from the Fantoni shop in New York. Does anyone have one of these mutes, or know where I can get one? It might even help me to find some pictures of one, maybe I can find someone with experience in metal working to help me fabricate something like it.

If the Fantoni search comes up dry, I've seen a lot of metal mutes online for the various higher-pitched strings, does anyone know where I can get one for bass?

Thanks!

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Ask Paul Biase in NYC, who I think is his former partner. I'm also interested if you find out something.

3. Thank you Eric. I just sent out some feelers in hopes of contacting Mr. Biase. If I hear anything back, I'll be sure to let you know.

4. I've considered these. Have you used one? Reading through the testimonials on the website, you seem most everyone is reviewing the performance models. If you've used the practice mute, could you share your experience with me? $70 is a lot to shell out if the leather mute isn't going to mute more than the Ultra rubber mute I already have.

5. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I have not used one--they are more pricy than I can justify for my needs. Just throwing it into the mix, since it hadn't been mentioned. I wonder how hard it would be to DIY, even if it's not as "perfectly" thought out as these models.

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Biase and Fantoni
    130 W. 42nd Street
    New York, NY 10036
    (212) 840-8373

7. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
  8. Aren't you also going to need to uncouple your bass from the floor to keep it from vibrating into nearby apartments? There is at least one other thread dealing with ideas for that. If I can find it again I'll edit this to include a link to it.

9. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Those leather mutes will not mute it more than an Ultra, but they sound a hell of alot better.

10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I have one of those expensive leather ones. I should sell it. Its' really nice but TBH it doesn't mute much. It kinda cuts down the highs like a one of those tone mute things but just does it more. I would say it's more for arco than jazz.

Save your money on something more important, like strings or a lesson in playing softer. :bag:

11. Haha! First time I've ever received that advice! I'm contacting the Blaise & Fantoni shop soon. Thanks all for the advice re; the leather mutes. I got the impression from the website's testimonials that it was more of a performance mute rather than a practice mute.

12. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I spoke with Paul Biase today; he was gracious enough to call me back, even though the news was, to tell me that he did not have the mutes for sale, these days.

He did say, however, that he still has one he holds onto, to use as a model, in case he can find a machinist who could produce them.

So, perhaps one day, if demand is sufficiently apparent, the ultimately-silencing, beautifully-designed-and-fabricated bass practice mute could conceivably become available, once again.

Not today, though...

13. I spoke with him too, yesterday. He seems to be an extremely nice guy, really easy to talk to. Same news for me with the mutes thought. Eric, do you have any way to show me how this mute work? It's still this nebulous idea in my head, but I can't picture how it would fit on the bridge. Could you draw a picture or something and send it to me? I think I PM'd you my email address.