1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fast advice needed - Hartke 410 XL plus a 410 VX??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kamelion, May 16, 2011.

1. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    Quick question: I play Kubickis through a Hartke Ha3500 and a 410XL. A buddy just phoned me and said that there's a Hartke 115VX cab for sale at a local store for a crazy low price. While I check out the veracity (and condition!) of this alleged bargain, I wanted to ask for opinions on the 115VX.

Who has experience with this cab? How does it sound? How well would it combine with my 410 XL if I ran them both off the Ha3500? Are they likely to be complementary or are their tonal qualities just going to clash?

Many thanks in advance! I'd like to move quickly on this if possible, so as not to lose out on a decent bargain :D

Edit: Just called the store and it turns out it's a 115VX, not a 410. Bloody guitarist can't tell the difference, lol!

2. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    OK, so I went ahead and bought the cab the other morning - itwas only £69, so it's a bargain either way.

Turns out it's a pretty sweet combination, so I'm posting a brief description in case anyone has a similar question in future.

The Hartke 410XL has those aluminium cones, so it's pretty bright and sharp in tone. When it's down at ground level, though, you don't hear that as clearly. Stacked on top of the 115VX, however, those bright tones are far more noticeable, being closer to ear-level and all.

By comparison, the 115VX has paper cones, so its tones are warmer and softer and deeper. It complements the brighter sound of the 410XL really well, producing an overall sound that ranges from a deep, powerful bottom end up to some clean and punchy highs. I wasn't really expecting them to work together so well, so I'm pretty pleased.

Of course, I haven't gigged it yet, so I do need to hear what it sounds like outside the confines of the house, on stages of various sizes (and away from the sound of the walls and furniture shaking, lol). But it's a cautious thumbs-up at the moment...

3. Jan Jans

Jan Jans

Feb 6, 2014
    I have both a 410xl and a vx 410, but I don´t notice a huge difference between the alu and paper cones...

4. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    This is not fast advice!

:p

I've gigged the combo extensively since and there's a real complementary effect to my ears. I think I notice the alucones better because they're stacked up higher.

Either way, thanks for the input :)

5. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    Hey Kamelion, when you just had your 410, did you ever raise it off the floor when gigging? Also, have you had any feedback on the combo sound from anyone in the audience? (ie: what they hear vs. your on-stage sound to you). Just wondering as I'm debating what to do with my 410 (Hartke AK410). I too was considering a 15" to add under it.

6. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    (Sorry - been away!)

Yeah, did raise it up a height sometimes and yes it made a difference overall. I do get regular feedback on my sound, as it happens - I feel really lucky like that. Kubickis have such a lovely tone, though, so it's not like I can take any credit for it! Best feedback was a guy who came up to me and said the bass sound was so nice and deep that it made him want to soil his pants. He used different words, of course :). If it's grown men worrying about loss of bowel control that you're after, I can recommend the 15" :).