1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fast, playable 5-stringer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boo9, Nov 7, 2010.

1. boo9

boo9

Nov 7, 2010
    Sandnes, Norway
    just discovered this forum, while googling, and thought i should say hi to everybody, while still asking a question.

i looking for a new 5-string (beadg) bass that will give me punchy mids, and clear lows. it should have low action and a relatively slim neck.
    The balance is important for me, as i feel my Epiphone blackbird's top-heavy balance is doing my body no good.
    easy adjustably for the bridge is a major plus.
    Price should preferably be within 1,2k$

any suggestions?

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Welcome! Brand new? Try one of the new Zon Sonus Standard imports. Incredible tone and punch.

Used? Lakland 55-02 w/Lakland pups.

3. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Try a Dingwall Combustion or ABZ or even better look for a used ABI.
    Great basses, slim neck profile, best B in the business and killer tone with plenty of variety in the pup configurations.
    Can't say enough good things about Dingwall!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland.

5. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Ibanez. I've got an SR505 and it practically plays itself. I play it at church (big place) and have been told it punches right thru.

6. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Pedulla. Usually you can get a used Rapture (which sound like a Jazz on 'roids) for $900-1500 (new they're $4500). Look in the TB classifieds and on Craigslist. They're around. Extremely thin, playable neck. I have mouse hands and love mine.

7. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Let me +1 the Ibanez SR505.

Skinny neck, great feel, balance and weight and amazing tone (The SR was used by both Roger and Tony on all of Atheist's albums, check them out to hear what it can sound like).

8. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Raptures are great. But if you want it to sound like a Jazz be sure that's the pup configuration you get. You can get Raptures w/Jazz pups, dual and single soaps.

9. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Between 1-2K ... there are a lot of basses around ... new and used. Could you narrow you're preferences a bit more?

ie. scale, width @ nut, string spacing, graphite necked, multi-laminate, modern tone, classic tone, jazz bass style, ... so on and so forth.

IMO ... When it comes to finding the right 5'ver ... it's best to narrow your search as much as possible right from the beginning. Prior to figuring out my preferences ... I had a love/hate relationship with 5'vers ... now I can't see myself going back to 4-bangers again (not to say it won't happen ;)).

10. Another vote for the Ibanez SR505. Great bass and well below the price you are wanting to spend! Or if you really want to spend more you could get the SR705 or one of the Prestige series.

11. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Another option in 34" scale with in your face punch would be G&L L2500. Can get close to Jazz tone as well as Precision Stingray and in between.

12. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    +1. Just depends on what you want. Raptures come in JJ (mine), single soapbar, and PJ (on the rare side for the used market - I've been looking for a PJ-4). The Thunderbass/bolt are all dual soapbars. And the more expensive MVP series is either JJ or PJ.

13. boo9

boo9

Nov 7, 2010
    Sandnes, Norway
    the details i can provide, about my preference would be these:
    i would very much like the strings to be tightly together and with as fast specs as reason allows.

my previous basses have been 34'' scale, and this seems fine, and i i prefer strings a bit slack, rather than too tight. i guess i could try a 35'', just to have a feel of it.
    anything else than string tightness i should consider when choosing scale?

I'd prefer a graphite neck, as the sound would suit the style of music i like, and the simpler maintenance is a nice bonus.

Now what multi-laminate would happen to mean, i do not know. care to explain?

The tone i want is primarily a mean tech/prog thrash fit. (this means it is a plus if it looks metal, but please, nothing too pointy (oh, and i love matt black))

thank you very much all of those who gave suggestions, i will have a look into all suggestions. :D

(also, pardon my grammar.)

14. Lakland or Ibanez.

Or a Stingray5!

15. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    soundgear. wicked fast necks and narrow string spacing (good fingerfunk, bad slap)

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Ibanez Prestige. Very fast playing

17. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't forget to look at Carvin

18. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Well, graphite neck narrows it down. Used Zons can be found for good prices when they're around. If you want to go more traditional I have a dead mint Lull PJ 5 for sale in the classified. 8.4 lbs (light for a 5'er) and excellent balance. Most 5 strings you'll find will be north of 9lbs if that matters to you. Lull is 18mm spacing which I find a good compromise. Zon is 17mm, Sadowsky, Lakland, etc are 19mm. Doesn't make a difference to some, huge difference to me. ymmv.

19. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    A used Modulus Quantum, Stingray 5 or Soundgear 705.

20. You have lots of options with being able to sink that much dough into it. I saw the Ibanez sr505 mentioned earlier, and they play excellent when they're setup right. Excellent neck for those of us with shorter fingers. You can pick one up new with a case for a little over 600. If you're wanting to spend a little more, you have alot of great options as well. Lakland skyline 55-02d can be had new for around 1400. Excellent playing and sounding bass, with lots of tonal options. Stingray, Modulus, Pedulla, are also great options. I think if I had the cheese and was looking for a new 5er, I'd seriously consider a Warrior.